Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Gorgeous, Relaxing Day on the Water


And making it even nicer was the fact I managed to catch a few fish and got to talk to a couple of my friends, too. What more could you possibly ask for?

The fish in this picture was my best of the day--unless, that is, you consider that ugly ol' grindle I caught on a Rick Clunn crankbait. There easily was about 5 or 6 pounds of "ugliness" in that toothy critter, and he had both crankbait hooks buried in his face. Like I've done for some time now, I unhooked the creature and released him to swim another day. Guess I'm just gettin' soft in some ways in my old age.

The bass here weighed in at 1-9. I also had a 1-5 and one that measured 12 inches. The other two were dinks. All my fish came out of--and were returned to--West Neck Creek.

The baits that accounted for my success today, besides the RC 1.5, were a SwimSenko and a SwimFluke. I couldn't buy a topwater strike this morning, and the Bandit Footloose that has been producing so well for me recently also came up empty. Once I got the two plastics and the RC crankbait working, I put everything else down and stayed with those baits.

The two ol' friends I sat and talked with for a spell on the water today were Joe McDevitt and Skip Schaible. Both discussions took place this morning, and I didn't get to find out how their respective days went. Joe did mention this morning, though, that he recently had bagged a couple of nice ones from down south in the wrecks--his long-time favorite hole. He said one weighed 7 lbs., and the other tipped the scales at 2.5. Wish I had the nerve to fish that area once in a while, but those giant spikes just are too much of a deterrent. He was headed back down there today, so I feel sure he found at least a few fish.

I also ran into Ray Scott today--no, not the one of B.A.S.S. fame--but the one who is Charlie's friend and occasional fishing partner. He had boated a couple of bream and was heading out of West Neck when we spoke briefly.

With the light winds we had today, I simply couldn't have asked for a nicer midweek fishin' trip. It was one of those days when I really didn't want to stop but knew I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment