Monday, September 2, 2013

Topwater in the Middle of the Day? Are You Nuts?

Some years back, I used to fish occasionally with a fella who, at noon, would say, "Well, it's time to start throwing some topwater." And he did it every time we fished together--no matter what the conditions were. I thought he was nuts until he started putting fish in the boat, and then I wasn't sure what to think because I didn't seem to be able to duplicate his feat.

Years before I had made that angler's acquaintance, I remember another friend who, during a hot, summer day on Lake Anna, pulled off something I never would have believed if I hadn't seen it for myself. It was better than 90 degrees as we fished a cove with some plastic worms. Neither of us, though, was getting so much as a bump, and the frustration level was increasing about as fast as the temperature. Suddenly, I heard my friend rummaging through his tacklebox, saying, "I know that thing is in here somewhere."

Moments later, I turned around to find him tying on the gag gift he had received at our club's annual fall banquet the year before. It was none other than a copy of the Budweiser fishing lure you see in this picture.

The next 15 or 20 minutes were filled with good-natured ribbing of my friend about his silly, desperate efforts to catch a bass. But as luck would have it, he eventually tossed this contraption up next to a big beaver lodge, let it rest for several minutes, then just barely moved it, and water flew everywhere as better than a 3-lb. bass knocked the fire out of the bait--proclaiming (LOL) "this Bud's for me." My buddy slammed the barbs home and, moments later, boated the fish--the only one we caught all day. You can imagine the trash-talk I had to endure, not just for the rest of that day but for many more to come.

So, yes, I do believe that you can catch bass on topwater lures in the middle of even the sunniest, hottest days in summer. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. I was reading an online article the other day in which an Elite Series angler was describing the benefits to be derived from throwing topwaters, even on hot summer days, to scatter the baitfish. He said, "I always catch the bigger fish on topwater from noon to two because, if you think about it, that fish is up there at that time for only one reason--because he's feeding.

"You might not get as many bites, but you can cover more water and put yourself in position to be at the right spot at the right time. The lesson here is simple: It's easier to be at the right spot at the right time if you help create that situation by scattering baitfish," he explained.

Another article I was reading had this to say: "Topwater fishing throughout the day doesn't work every single time--several variables (e.g., weather and water conditions, as well as presentation) need to fall into place. However, it's certainly an undervalued tactic... If you think outside the box at times, you'll surprise yourself. Remember, it doesn't always have to make sense. If you find them crushing a topwater in the middle of a sunny day, don't question it; just smile and enjoy it!"

A friend and I had such an occasion recently, and there indeed were big smiles spread across both of our faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment