Thursday, April 18, 2013

When You're Catching a Few, Stay Put


I can't count the number of times over the years when I've been in an area where I was catching a few fish, only to pick up and run to a new spot and end up fishless for the rest of the day. Such was my misfortune today.

I originally ran a tiny bit farther south this morning than I went on Tuesday and had boated six fish by 12 noon--on the same two Bandit Footloose I had used Tuesday, along with a Yo-Zuri SS Minnow. The best fish was my first one, which weighed in at 1-3.

My next stop was the back of Albright's Creek, but the fish there wouldn't have a thing to do with any of the baits I had used all morning. It wasn't until I tied on a super noisy topwater bait that I saw any signs of life. Immediately, I had three fish swat at the lure, but all of them missed it. From then until I quit at 3 o'clock, there was absolutely no action at all, other than my fighting the wind with the trolling motor.

When I got home today, I had an email from Jerry, who launched right behind me this morning. Given the 3.8-foot water level, good clarity, and a water temp of 69 degrees, he said he figured he was in for a good day of fishing. Unfortunately, the fish wouldn't cooperate.

"Obviously, my tackle box isn't big enough," said Jerry, "because I couldn't find anything in it that would draw a strike from a bass. The only thing that saved the morning from being a total skunk was a nice bream I caught on a beetlespin."

Jerry said all his fishing was done north of the West Neck Bridge. He talked to a guy in a 16-foot Carolina Skiff that had caught two bass and two panfish. By 10:30 this morning, Jerry had had enough. He pulled his boat out and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment