Tuesday, April 9, 2013

It Was a Spinnerbait Sort of Day


Today began the same way Saturday's tourney ended--slow. I spent the first couple of hours in Godfrey's Creek, where I had what felt like some bream hits on a crankbait. The bass, though, were just thumbing their noses at everything I threw. Determined not to waste my day in seemingly unproductive water, I buttoned down everything and went for a boat ride to the back of Albright's Creek.

The first sign of  real life came shortly after I tied on a 3/8-oz. Booyah spinnerbait with a chartreuse and white skirt. A 12-incher jumped on it almost right away, followed by a 1-6 and a 1-4. My last and best fish of the day was this 2-5 that put on a pretty decent acrobatics show before I got him in the boat. Fortunately, I had gotten a good hookset with the spinnerbait in the roof of his mouth.

I found some fish prowling really skinny water today. However, those fish didn't seem to be interested in any of my offerings. The hits I was getting were coming in a little deeper water. I had multiple instances of fish swirling under my spinnerbait throughout the day but never making any contact. I tried to coax some hits on different topwaters, but they wouldn't even splash at them.

I ran across a couple other boats in Albright's today. There also were plenty of vehicles in the parking lot at West Neck when I returned. I recognized a couple of them but never stopped and talked to anyone on the water, so I don't have a clue what kind of day any of them were having.

The water temp this morning as I motored away from the ramp showed 64 degrees. However, I forgot to check it when I came in this afternoon. For a couple of days now, the water level has stood at about 3.7 feet on the measuring stick at the ramp, and the color remains good.

As I've said before, if any of my readers are getting out and catching some fish, all you have to do is send me the details, along with any photos you take, and I'll be happy to give you some space on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment