Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Looks Like Everybody Kicked My Butt Today, But What's New?


Given the little success I had Monday in the back of Albright's Creek, I decided to make another trip there today. I had it all to myself--the fella I saw in the Ranger on Monday evidently had to work today, went somewhere else, or perhaps just took the day off.

Following my usual custom, I started the day with the same bait that proved to be my best producer Monday--the Yo-Zuri SS Minnow in gold with black back. The fish just thumbed their nose at it today, though. My next choice, was a Strike King 1XS in firetiger, which put a dink and the 1-2 fish pictured here in the boat. The only other fish I boated was a 12-incher, which fell for a 3/8-oz. Booyah spinnerbait.

I had 3 better fish on very briefly today but didn't get any of them in the boat. Two of them went for a pink Pop-R. The other one smacked my spinnerbait. This latter one felt the best of all 3 fish. He was taking drag throughout the battle. I just had gotten him alongside the boat when he charged aft, and that was all she wrote. The hook tore out, and I didn't even get a look at him.

That was the extent of my day. Others, though, did much better, starting with Rob and Mitch, who launched at 7 o'clock and only got to fish three hours before Rob hit a submerged stump with his trolling-motor prop and snapped off two of the three blades. He and Mitch were motoring back to the dock as I just was leaving. I stopped to ask why there were quitting so early and learned that they had enjoyed a very productive three hours on the water. Their tally was 4 bass, with a combined total weight of about 9 lbs.

Then, as I was getting my boat on the trailer, a fella in a Tracker came in and told me he had caught 6 fish today--didn't tell me what size, though. The only thing I know for sure is that he had been fishing the front end of Albright's at least part of the day because we hit the cut-through at the same time this afternoon.

The final report came to me in an email from Charlie. He fished Godfrey's Creek today, where he boated 30 bass, 2 pickerel, and 3 white perch. He said several bass were in the 1-pound category, and all the others were dinks. The high point of his day came between 2:30 and 3:00, when he found a school of fish in a feeding frenzy. "I had as many as 4 on 4 casts in a row," he said. "They wanted a beetle spin on ultralight to start with, then only would take a swim bait." He also got a few on a fly rod. The action turned off at 3, and he quit a half-hour later.

My hat's off to all these folks--well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment