Tuesday, April 2, 2024

With More Rain and Wind Comin', I Just Had to Get on the Water Today


Have been kinda busy with various odds and ends here lately, and that, coupled with all the rain we've been getting, has had me in a bit of a funk. Had planned to fish with my tourney partner today, but when he texted me this morning that he would have to take a rain check, I decided to drop my ol' Skeeter in at West Neck and go see if I could find a few fish.

As it turned out, it didn't take me long to find some satisfaction. Stopped in one of my favorite West Neck coves, and within the first hour had boated seven fish, five of them keepers. By the end of the day, I had caught a total of 11, with a grand total of seven keepers, along with a couple of swings and misses...oh, and just for good measure, one small pickerel that I helped obtain an early release. There weren't any big ones in the lot, but I had enough tugs that put a smile on my face.

A bonus on the day's activities was the fact that I seemingly had the water all to myself...well, almost, that is. Saw one kayak angler at my second stop of the day, but that was it, as far as "company" went. Not sure where he had launched from, but as I fired up the gas motor to return to West Neck this afternoon, I observed that the kayaker was having to pedal pretty hard to maintain his momentum against the wind that had picked up through the early afternoon hours.

Given that there's an open tournament this coming Saturday, today's excursion likely will be it for this ol' man until then. I had an itch that got scratched, and for that, I'm grateful. Who said I was hard to please? 

No comments:

Post a Comment