Saturday, April 27, 2024

It Only Lasted a Little While...


I'm talking about the bass bite I had this morning. I didn't get on the water 'til nearly 8:30 but was able to quickly establish a dual topwater bite. Can't remember the last time that happened to me, but I was having a ball for about the first hour. Boated five small bass during that time...the biggest a 2-1. Also lost five more right beside the boat, and had another four come unbuttoned on the way to the boat. Think I could have prevented some of those lost fish if I had upgraded the hooks on one of the topwaters but didn't want to take the time to do so on the water. You can be sure I'll attend to that matter before my next trip, though.

It was about the time I snapped off the bill on one of what had been my two successful topwaters that my streak of luck up and went south and left me beating what appeared to be empty water the rest of the day. About 30 minutes before I threw in the towel, I finally was able to entice one last bass to snatch the shallow crankbait I was using. Never felt the first bump on soft plastics, though, even though I kept throwing them intermittently into the same kind of haunts where I had gotten all the topwater bites in the first hour.

My buddy, Skip, showed up as I was coming off the water and offered to pull me off the ramp, and seein' as how I was a bit on the tired side, I was more than happy to let him. I'm seldom one to turn down a helping hand these days. Got rid of that macho attitude a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment