Monday, June 19, 2023

Where Are the Pictures To Prove It?

That's the question kayak basser and blogger Eric Schrock (left) received from a coworker whom he just had told about catching a nice fish.

"When I told him I had no photographic evidence," said Schrock, "he abruptly ended the conversation with, 'Well, then, it's just a story!'"

From that day forward, the angler and blogger determined he would let his pictures (and later videos) do all the talking for him.

"As I reflect back through the years, I'm thankful for my coworker's 'words of wisdom,'" he said. "Not that I had to prove myself to anyone, I just knew the ol' fisherman's tale didn't hold much water.

"With the memories compiled over time through pictures and videos, I began to see a much bigger story--one that showed my journey as an angler," continued Schrock. "For me, the best part of fishing is the learning curve, whether it be learning a new lake, discovering a new technique, or catching a new species.

"I didn't just pick up a crankbait and immediately start catching 8-pounders. It was a long process, slowly piecing together what worked and...probably more importantly...what didn't work, which most often was the case. It involved countless hours on the water, being disciplined, paying attention to details, and tons of research off the water."

What also evolved, along with his angling skills, was the ability to capture the action on the water. He went from needing someone to snap a quick photo to independently filming nonstop from multiple camera angles simultaneously.

"Some days, I feel more like a cameraman than a fisherman," said Schrock. "Just like fishing, this is a learned process of what works and what doesn't. By capturing the adventures in full (from start to finish), I can relive those memories just as they occurred. I also get to share that exact moment in time with anyone. Perhaps some of my legacy will be left behind with my experiences forever documented."

Another benefit he derived from filming himself was learning from his own actual behaviors. For example, he was able to watch himself not setting the hook correctly, even though he swore he had driven it home. He also saw himself losing fish that could have been landed if it weren't for self-inflicted errors that were evident in review.

"I've even caught myself with poor paddling technique," said Schrock. "Being able to make corrections by literally seeing my own mistakes has helped me improve both my fishing and filming. Let's just say I never stop learning."

In concluding his blog post, Schrock urged others to "get out there and start recording your own legacy. As for me, every cast will be recorded because you never know which cast will result in hooking a new record. I guarantee it won't be 'just a story.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment