Friday, June 2, 2023

Go-To Baits for Big Summer Bass--How Many Do You Have?

Many anglers...perhaps most...have their favorite go-to baits for big summer bass. Virginia DWR Chief of Fisheries Dr. Mike Bednarski is no different. Because he takes notes about all his fishing trips, he has a wealth of information at his fingertips that he can draw upon anytime he wants.

While combing through those notes, for example, he learned that three different baits account for the vast majority of the big fish he has caught to date.

The first bait that showed up is a jig and pig--the classic big-bass bait.

Said Dr. Bednarski, "I have caught more 6-pound fish on a jig and pig than anything else I've thrown. My best largemouth ever came on a black jig and pig, and the biggest fish I ever caught during my tournament days came on a brown jig and pig."

When asked where and when he throws that bait, his response was "almost any time and almost any place."

He went on to note that he really likes a jig and pig around rocks, docks and brush.

"I throw a 3/8-ounce model on a 7-foot medium heavy or heavy baitcasting setup, with 15-pound line, when I'm casting at rip rap or rock piles," he said. "I let the bait get to the bottom and hop it back to the boat. I throw a half-ounce model on a 7-foot heavy baitcasting setup, with 17-pound line, when I'm pitching a jig--short casts--and I like the extra weight because I can get the bait to go further under a dock. Let the bait drop to the bottom, shake it, pick it up, and throw it back out there," he advised. "I prefer copolymer line and select types known for strength and abrasion resistance. The best tip for this bait is to always have one ready to throw, and pick it up throughout the day."

The next go-to bait Dr. Bednarski likes to throw for a big bass is a topwater crawler.

"This is a relatively new addition to my arsenal," he said. "They look ridiculous, but they make a tremendous amount of noise. I've caught more big bass in recent memory on this bait, instead of a jig. This is a great bait for spring through fall, as long as the water is above 60 degrees."

Dr. Bednarski uses 50-pound braided line on a 7-foot medium-heavy baitcasting setup and throws his lure near targets, hydrilla beds, pad fields, and along water-willow lines.

As he explained, "Cast out the crawler, let it hit the water, count to five, and reel it back slowly. No other bait I've ever fished gets the violent strikes that I get on the crawler. Throw this bait morning, evening or night, but don't underestimate the strikes you can get on a hot, flat, calm day in mid-summer."

The third bait in Dr. Bednarski's arsenal that produces the vast majority of big bass is one that he discovered about two years ago. It's a large rat.

"This bait runs shallow and throws a big wake," he said. "I like to use 20-pound copolymer line on an 8-foot heavy-action graphite-composite baitcasting rod. I use the heavy copolymer because of its shock strength. Rats are not cheap, and with braid, you can snap the bait off on a cast. I throw this lure in the same places I throw the crawler and fish it the same way--let it hit the water, count to five, and wind it slowly.

"I like this bait in summer," he continued, "when the water is above 70 degrees, and the fish have an appetite. My biggest Virginia bass came on one of these baits, and I lost another one that was even bigger. If you haven't thrown a rat, it's worth the investment.

"One thing I want to highlight is that these three baits don't limit you to big fish like some very big baits will. I've caught plenty of 15-inch fish on these lures. They are great options for those who want to catch a larger fish but don't want to commit to a giant lure. You will get enough action to stay engaged as you wait for that big bite to come.

"If you happen to run into me on the water this summer, I promise you'll find all three of these baits on the deck of my boat. Good luck fishing!"

Photos by Meghan Marchetti, Department of Wildlife Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment