Wednesday, June 14, 2023

At Least We Have a Starting Point


That's how Wayne and I saw the results of today's scouting trip for the Dewey tournament this coming Saturday. Most times, we are left as much in the dark after one of these trips as we were before it started. Today, however, was different.

Whether what we learned during our morning trip will work again three days from now is anyone's guess. I'm certainly not making any bets.

In 6 hours of fishing apiece, Wayne had five bass to show for his efforts, and I had four...the biggest a 2-9.

Can't say I had much hope early-on today. Started out with two small white perch, followed by a gar that likely would have gone three or four pounds. He didn't initially look that well-hooked, but I ultimately had to break out my lure retriever to make sure I got my bait back before losing it to that toothy critter. Gave him a headache in the process. Figured since I already had one, he ought to share in my misery.

Things then went quiet for a spell before I stumbled onto a presentation that quickly restored my hope for a decent day. Just hope it doesn't let us down come Saturday.

Incidentally, many years ago, I regularly used golden Stren fishing line because of its high visibility. With the passage of time, though, I began using various brands of green braid. After a rash of recent instances in which I lost fish because I wasn't able to clearly see movement in my line, it was suggested that I spool both of my worm rods with some hi-vis yellow Power Pro, instead of the green version.

Today's results made me happy I listened to that advice. Can't remember the last time I went 4 for 4 with a worm rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment