Thursday, January 19, 2023

What Constitutes a "Good Day" of Bass Fishing?


That's the search phrase I recently Googled, and half of the 36 respondents to that very same question on a forum's website I visited had answered as follows: "Any day that I get to go fishing," or words to that effect. Have to admit that's what I anticipated when I asked the question.

I also should point out that not one of the other respondents said anything about having a "bad day" of bass fishing...again, no surprise. Here are some samples of what others said in response to the aforementioned question:

"A good day of fishing for me is when I'm in the Everglades, and I catch 40-plus LMB on my own, excluding my fishing partner, averaging 3 to 5 lbs. apiece. A great day is when I throw a 6-plus-pound bass into the mix. An awesome day is when they all are caught on hollow-body frogs."

"A good day for me is finding that magical school of largemouth and smallmouth all feeding on baitfish in the same area where I can throw any lure I want and get bit. I love those days."

"A good day of fishing is when I'm by myself and get to touch at least one fish. If I'm with my buddies, I call it a good day as long as we all don't get skunked."

"Any day I catch 5 decent bass in less than 4 hours is a good day. If I'm fishing all day, 10-plus is good for me."

"If I catch a fish over 14 inches, then that's a good day for me."

"As long as I make it to and from the lake safely, I've had a good day."

"A good day of fishing for me is any day I go with my grandson, and he catches 3 or 4 fish, and we return home safely."

"A good day for me is any day my cellphone stays quiet, I improve myself, or learn something new, and catch a couple of fish."

Then there was this fella who said his "best day" fishing happened Jan. 2, 2016. On that day, he and a buddy had gone fishing in a johnboat at a nearby lake. Got on the water around 1 p.m. and decided they would use 3/4-oz. black-and-blue football jigs, with matching rage craw.

"My first cast yielded a 2-lber, and my buddy doubled up with a 3-lber," he said. "On my next cast, I hooked a 7-lb. 10-oz. beauty...my personal best. Within the next 30 minutes, I pulled in a 6-lb. 14 oz., a 3.15, 4.01, 6.01, and a few more 2-lbers.

"My buddy wasn't so lucky, and only got a couple 2-to-3-lbers.

"Three hours into our trip, I was saying I never thought I'd be trying to cull a 4-lber. Two casts later, though, I landed a 7.3.

"We fished for 4 hours, during which time my friend boated a total of 5 fish, all weighing 3 lbs. and under.

"I ended up with 11 bass. My top five weighed 31 lbs. 13 ozs. The stars were aligned for me that afternoon. However, I did lose my lucky jig on a bad cast."

This fella with the biggest total weight went fishing again the next morning with his new son-in-law, who never had caught a bass in his life. Pop-in-law gave him lots of instructions on deep-water jig fishing, then they started fishing.

While retrieving his first cast, pop-in-law started noticing some difference as he was dragging the jig back. When he lifted it out of the water, the jig was wrapped in some braided line and the jig he had lost the previous day.

The "fish catching" this second day, however, left a little something to be desired. Both fellas fished for 30 minutes or so without a single bite, so they started moving around. The son-in-law eventually managed to catch two fish: a 3-lber and a 6.4-lber. Not to be outdone, pop-in-law boated a 7.8 and a 6.4...but, in his own words, "lost the biggest bass of my life just 10 feet from the boat."

Oh! How many times have we all heard that story?

No comments:

Post a Comment