Thursday, October 6, 2022

Day Started OK But Then Quickly Fizzled

 
When I had two keeper fish in the boat in the first hour I was on the water, I had high hopes that perhaps the dismal outings I've had lately were behind me. No such luck, though. I spent the next five hours throwing everything but the kitchen sink and didn't get even a single blowup. So, bottom line: I have to be thankful for the two I did get. At least the best one...my first fish...weighed in at 2-10.

I returned to the West Neck ramp about 1:15 and found my tournament partner waiting for my arrival. He had come out to help me get the boat on the trailer...always a welcome act of kindness. There was a day when I resisted any help at all with such things, but at age 79, I rarely turn down anyone's offer to lend a hand.

Once we were clear of the ramp, we discussed our battle plan for the tournament rescheduled for this coming Saturday, Oct. 8th. As it turns out, we both feel it would be a waste of our time and money to fish this tournament, given the fact we neither one know where to find a congregation of catchable bass. So, we have decided just to take care of the tournament-director duties this Saturday, then get in as much practice as possible next week for the Classic two-day tournament, which is slated to occur Oct. 15th and 16th.

It truly doesn't seem like another season could be coming to a close. Feels as though we only started a month or two ago, but we've been going since March. So the saying goes, "Time passes quickly when you're having fun," but from my perspective, this season really hasn't been all that productive, which is reflected in my paperwork.

Oh well, there's always that other saying that goes like this, "If it was easy, it would be called 'catching,' instead of 'fishing'."

No comments:

Post a Comment