Sunday, February 13, 2022

"Listen, My Children, And You Shall Hear...

Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere." But folks, I'm not here to acquaint you with the works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. No, I just used that intro as a ploy to get your attention.

What I really want you to hear is the 10 things...perhaps "sugar-coated things" would be a better choice of words...fishermen say most often when they get skunked.

In no particular order, here they are...for those of you who haven't already learned them by heart:

1. It was still a beautiful day on the water.

2. That's why they call it fishing, not catching.

3. I don't go to catch fish, I go to relax.

4. It was a nice day for a boat ride.

5. I just needed to run the engine.

6. There was a good band playing at the club tonight, so we came in early.

7. It's not how many fish you catch, it's how good you look fishing.

8. I just wanted to work on my tan.

9. I enjoy bird watching as much as catching fish.

10. I didn't get skunked, I ran out of time.

If we're willing to face the facts, though, we know that any fisherman who tells you he/she never gets skunked is lying through their teeth. It happens to all of us, and to some of us, a lot more so than others. 

There's a lot we can say to make ourselves feel better about a bad day on the water, but as one hard-nosed angler noted, "I don't like any of it. That thing about how it's just always great to be out there, I don't play that way. No one ever will confuse me with one of those zen anglers who goes out on the water to enjoy the experience.

"When I get my butt kicked by the fish, I get mad...madder than a box of bull frogs! I curse at children. I rip up flowers. I kick small animals. Then, I sit around moping and thinking about all the things I did wrong."

For others, though, the lesson is this: We all go through rough times...at home, at work, on the water, or anywhere...man, fish and everything in between. Getting skunked can teach us just as much and sometimes more than having one of those every-other-cast-kind of days.

Pay attention to what's going on in the environment around you, try your hardest, and don't forget to appreciate the time you get to spend doing what you love. Even if the fish aren't being cooperative, don't get frustrated and go home feeling worse than you did when you came. I've been guilty of making that mistake too many times myself.

Tight Lines! And even if there's no fish on, keep casting.

No comments:

Post a Comment