Monday, February 21, 2022

For Period Ending Sunday, March 6, 2022


Monday, Feb. 21 (from Ken)...
Despite my belief to the contrary, I learned today that I actually still can catch a fish. When all was said and done, about 2:30 this afternoon, the water temp had climbed from 35 when I launched to 45, and I had managed to boat a total of six bass, missed four more strikes, and had one fish swirl twice at my bait but wouldn't take it. That's not bad for this ol' Kansas boy. Caught all my fish between 12 and 2:30 on a shallow crankbait, while beating the water between the West Neck Bridge and the S-curve. And to be fair about it, I need to mention here that I owe part of my success to a young kayaker named Matt, who bailed my butt out this afternoon when one of my errant casts found a limb instead of the water. The hook buried, and given the low water today, there was no way I was going to get to my lucky crankbait without some help. The closest I could get in my boat was about 6 feet away, and I was worried about getting grounded in place. Had talked to Matt and another young fellow kayaker first thing this morning...both of them were asking about ol' Charlie B. I shared as much as I know about him now. And as luck would have it, Matt was only a loud holler away when I oh so needed his help, and he came stroking that paddle, knowing full well he would have to fight a head-wind on his trip back toward the West Neck Bridge. I offered to tow him, but he assured me that he had everything under control. In any event, I got my lucky lure back and continued catching some fish. Had three that would have gone about 10 or 11 inches, as well as three that would have been keepers, coming in at about a pound or pound and a quarter apiece. The boat again performed flawlessly, which is always a blessing. I can't tell you how happy I am not to have to worry any more about whether the boat will get me back to the dock, no matter where I decide to run. That consolation, combined with managing to catch a few fish today, made for a perfect outing, as far as I'm concerned. (Feb. 22 UPDATE: Just talked to a friend who reminded me that the "35" degree reading I got yesterday morning was because my transducer sits inside the boat. Therefore, that reading actually reflected overnight "air temp." As he suggested, to get a more accurate "water temp" reading, the boat needs to have been in the water for an hour or two. The "45" reading I had at day's end aligned with what my friend was showing. He was fishing the opposite end of West Neck and said his reading didn't fluctuate more than a degree or two all day, which makes perfect sense, given the conditions yesterday. Incidentally, my friend noted that he, too, caught six fish yesterday, all in the same size range as what I was getting. And he also...like me...had absolutely no luck with a jerkbait. It wasn't until he started throwing a crankbait that things started happening.)

Friday, Feb. 25 (from Ron)...Got on some bass. Caught seven and pictured is the largest in length. Micro-spinnerbait was working, water was clear, and the air temps were comfortable. Lost a couple. Sure was nice to catch some bass for a change.




Sunday, Feb. 27 (from Ron)...
Planned to fish the burrow pit (Crystal Lake) and launched about 10 a.m. While transiting the creek to get back where I wanted to go, I threw a spinnerbait and caught a few. Was thinking this should be a good trip. Got in the lake and fished about an hour and a half without finding anything. Returned to the shallow, skinny creek and logged a few more. Had a total of six bass (the best of which went 1-6, 1-9 and 2-7), two chain pickerel, and a yellow perch. All fell to the micro-spinnerbait (in pond magic).




Monday, Feb. 28 (from Ron)...
Close but no cigar...or in this case, no skunk. That's the way you could describe my evening, fishing out of West Neck Marina. Launched at 3:30. That chilly wind coming straight down the creek was anything but enjoyable. Threw about 150 casts for two hours without even a sniff. As I headed back...with cold hands and a skunk staring me in the face...made that "one last cast" toward the corner fall-down, near the entrance channel. Thought I at first was snagged, but the snag started fighting back, and I avoided the skunk. Didn't weigh her but estimated the weight at about 3 lbs.

Tuesday, March 1 (from Ken)...
Wanted to get a day on the water before the tournament this Sunday, and all things considered, today looked like my best opportunity. Didn't feel comfortable launching at West Neck this morning...the water was a bit lower than I expected and didn't feel like gambling with my luck. Decided to hook up and head down to Pungo Ferry. Was a bit concerned when I first arrived there, because two firetrucks and a rescue boat were on the scene. My first thought was that they may have been in the process of recovering a body...not a good way to ever start your day. As it turned out, however, they only were conducting a drill. One of the fellas quickly put my concern to rest and assured me they would move out of my way so I could launch, provided they hadn't already departed the scene. It was about 11:30 before I actually got the boat wet...an hour later than I had hoped to get on the water. But I didn't let that alter my plans to run to West Neck to fish. The water there once again left a lot to be desired in the way of color, and for the first hour and a half, I didn't have the first sniff on the crankbait that was so productive the last time I was out. Decided to try a chatterbait and hadn't made but just a few casts when I felt pressure as I was lifting the bait off the bottom. Set the hook and boated the healthy fish in the accompanying photo. Then went through another dry spell before picking up a jerkbait and nailing a small white perch. That fish spelled the end of my activity for the day. When I quit at 2:30, the water temp was 47...didn't notice the reading when I started. 'Twas a good day, as far as I'm concerned. It's difficult to complain anytime I dodge a skunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment