Tuesday, August 31, 2021

For Period Ending Sunday, Sept. 12, 2021


Sunday, Aug. 29 (from Joe)...Made my first kayak trip in search of bass and panfish. I had wanted to try launching at Back Bay NWR, but the winds were forecast at 10 mph all day long, and I thought that might make for a frustrating day’s fishing in open water, so I decided, instead, on Oakum Creek, which I know—from Charlie's videos—to be sheltered from the wind. I took a bass rod and an ultralight spinning outfit (2 lb. test mono). Before I had even left the dock, I thoroughly fan-casted the area around it while sitting in my kayak, moored to the dock, first with a 5” watermelon Senko Texas-rigged (no weight). When that didn’t elicit any bites, I started jigging a brown-and-black Trout Magnet (1/64 oz. jig with 1” split-tailed plastic grub) around the same area with my ultralight rod. On one lift off the bottom, I got bit and played a feisty bass of a pound or so for a couple minutes until it jumped and spit the hook. That quick bite was encouraging, but, unfortunately, not a harbinger of the day’s fishing to come. After fishing the dock area pretty thoroughly, I paddled 50’ or so inland and moored to some cypress knees, and then started another cycle of fan casting. I continued this way for another hour or so, working both the Senko and the Trout Magnet around each area. I really wanted to catch a bass on that Senko, but, with no bites forthcoming, eventually decided to switch to a buzzbait on the bass rod and a small Mepps spinner on the ultralight. Tried those for a while, but it was so hot and, being the middle of the day (I started fishing around 11 a.m.), I decided that the buzzbait probably wasn’t the best choice. Tried a chartreuse spinnerbait for a half-hour or so, but no cigar. There were a lot of swirls and fishy activity—some of it, I think, from bowfin gulping air off the surface—but, with the heat and high sun, I surmised that most fish would be holding in deeper water off shore. I tied on a small Johnson silver minnow and attached a 3” white split-tail trailer, and jigged that along the bottom. Watching the action of this lure, it looked absolutely irresistible to me! I fished it for a good hour or more, all to no avail. Eventually I decided to cover a bit more ground by changing my mooring and fan-casting approach, so, since the wind was blowing me back toward the launch, I paddled a good way inland, and then let the wind blow me back while I fished. Tried targeting the shallows on the shady side up under overhanging trees and little cuts and offshoots, but nothing. Tried fishing deep somewhat off shore and even in the very middle of the creek, but never got another bite. Tried everything I knew to try, and even eventually switched back to a swimsenko and Trout Magnet, but nothing doing. Significantly before I expected it, the dock came into view. Checking my watch, it was 3:40, and my butt was so sore I needed to get out of that kayak for a bit, which proved to be a little tricky (but I managed it without turtling). I thought about an exploratory paddle across the North Landing River to see how difficult it would be to reach Milldam or Snake Creeks from Munden Point Park, but, being late, and being exhausted, I just decided to end my trip then and there. (Once these dog days of summer leave town, you'll likely find the fish a tad more cooperative, Joe. Best of luck! --Ken)

Tuesday, Aug. 31 (from Ron)...
Suffered through a week in KY for work and got back on the water over the weekend, Monday and today. Skunked until this evening, and it was getting frustrating. Was nice to hear that drag and feel that tug. Redfish have been fun, but looking forward to getting back in the fresh water.






Saturday, Sept. 4 (from Ron)...Went out Friday evening to take care of something that was bothering me during the Redfish pursuit of late. Took one rod and a few trash bags. Caught some striper and hauled in a bit of trash. Back in the fresh waters this morning and only caught three small bass. The bite was very subtle, and all fell to a Zoom U-Vibe weightless worm.







Saturday, Sept. 11 (from Wayne, me and Mr. C)...The three of us left West Neck Marina together in the pre-dawn hours this morning, intent on trying to find a few fish...at least that was the case for two of us. I would be less than truthful if I didn't own up to the fact that it was another slow day, but we succeeded in meeting our goal. At day's end, after stops in four different holes, we had boated a double-limit of bass and lost a few along the way, too. The bites came on a mixture of baits. We now have info we'll need to plan our fishing day in the next tournament, our last qualifier of the current season, which is scheduled for a week from tomorrow. Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the Mr. C mentioned earlier was a cicada that rode all the way from Wayne's house this morning to the marina, accompanied us all day long in such places as the boat's dashboard, on top of the windshield, and clinging for his life to the net on the floor of the boat as we journeyed from one spot to the next. We thought we had lost the little creature when we recovered the boat, 'cause he was no where to be seen. However, as we learned while talking to a friend, the cicada had decided the safest place for him to ride was up under Wayne's console. We heard his all-too-distinct sounds as we were talking to our friend. Don't know if we could call him a good-luck charm, but at least he was company...the silent kind, which more times than not is the best kind anyone can have.

Sunday, Sept. 12 (from Rob and Craig)...Launched from West Neck this morning in search of some new locations to cast a line during next Sunday's tournament. In their own words, it was an "OK" day, as revealed in the fact they caught four keepers between sunrise and about 11 or 11:30. Understand they also caught a couple of bream, including one real nice crappie. In any event, they're ready for next Sunday, and that's what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment