Saturday, July 13, 2019

You Know It's Hot When You're Sweatin' Profusely Just Launching Your Boat


And we all were singing that tune this morning. Fortunately, as the day wore on, skies became partly cloudy, and an oh-so-welcome breeze developed, which allowed the 10 competitors in six boats to complete the 8-hour fishing day without anyone suffering a heat stroke. At day's end, these anglers weighed a five-fish limit amounting to an aggregate total weight of 69.65 lbs., for an average weight of 2.32 lbs. per fish and an average weight of 11.60 lbs. per boat.

Those who claimed pay envelopes for their efforts today included the following:







1st Place, the team of Allen Napier and his brother, Chris (not pictured), with a total weight of 13.99 lbs. and a big fish of 4.90 lbs.





2nd Place, the team of Dave Anderson and Ken Testorff, with a total weight of 12.59 lbs. and a big fish of 3.96 lbs.








Big Fish honors went to Wayne Hayes, for a bass weighing 4.97 lbs. His total weight was 11.83 lbs.








Mystery Weight winner was Tom Wells, whose total weight of 9.72 lbs. was closest to the drawn weight of 5 lbs. even. His big fish weighed 4.04 lbs.







Here is how everyone else finished the tournament day:

     * The team of Gary Coderre and Josh McCord, 11.88 lbs. total weight, 3.92-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Steve Bailey and Bobby Moore, 9.89 lbs. total weight, 4.27-lb. big bass.

There were no additions to the list of those anglers who have completed the requirements for competing in our season-ending two-day tournament.

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate, as well as those who helped ensure everything went smoothly today. For planning purposes, our next event is scheduled for Saturday, July 27, from safe light (about 5:30) to weigh-in at 2 p.m. I hope you can join us.


One Last Cast

Back on June 28, 2019, I posted an article on this blog about a fella who had come up with the idea of using two big sponges in each of his boat's livewells. The premise was to keep his fish settled throughout the tournament day. He also suggested that the sponges could be frozen and/or pre-treated with fish-care additives, such as T-H Marine G-Juice.

After following that suggestion today in my boat, I'm sold...at least for the moment. The fish in both livewells remained calm throughout the day and didn't appear to be harmed whatsoever when weighed in.

Just goes to show you that it pays to check out some of these more believable self-help suggestions. For a buck 99 per sponge, from the local Advance Auto store, I've learned something worthwhile that I plan to keep putting to use for as long as it continues working.

4 comments:

  1. I am new to the area and I came out and fished the tournament this past Saturday at West Neck Marina. I had a great time and the anglers were all very nice and accommodating to a "New Guy". Hope to return soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was glad to have you join us. Look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, Wayne told me there was somewhere you could go on the blog to find tournament rules. I cant find them anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, the rules & regulations are not on my blog. However, I can send you a copy by email. First, though, I need you to verify your email address for me. All you have to do is send me an email at kenneth34@cox.net, using your return email on the note, and I then will be able to email the rules & regs to you. I just tried to call you but got a message saying your phone is so full I can't leave a voicemail for you, so you really need to email me, including your return email address, before I can help you.

    ReplyDelete