Saturday, June 22, 2019

Someone Else I know Also Travels Light on the Water

The person I'm talking about is none other than my good friend and kayaker, Ron. He recently responded to my post of June 16, noting that he "used to go out with 80 percent more stuff than I needed or ever used. In the kayak, space is limited.

"I now have just my little circular storage container, and the loadout is about perfect. The photo at right is an example from the Internet. I modified mine so the three compartments are larger as a result of removing the plastic separators.

"I take a few worm hooks, some small spinnerbaits, a crankbait or two, jerkbait or XTS, nail clippers, reading glasses, and a topwater or two. In my box on the back, I have a few bags of plastics.

"Even now, though, I rarely use everything I carry. If I go somewhere different than my normal haunts, I'll change out the lures, but the container remains the same. No more Plano boxes taking up all my limited space. I used to carry several Planos in the storage bin, as well as one or two under my seat. Now, however, I carry just a few bags of plastics, a first-aid kit, bug spray, and a small cooler for drinks or panfish.

"I launch with only three or four rods...one for plastics, one for spinners, and a topwater, depending on the time of year and where I'm going. Rarely do I have to change out a lure. If none of those lures catch anything, nothing else probably will, either."

When asked how he views this "travel light" system, Ron simply responds, "It feels liberating. The operative phrase that comes to mind is 'keep it simple stupid.' Now, if I could just sell back all the crap I never really use. All it does is take up space in my garage."

No comments:

Post a Comment