Monday, June 24, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, June 30, 2019



Monday, June 24 (from Skip)...Received a report that he caught three fish today, including two dinks and one keeper.

Monday, June 24 (from Ron)...High water was not good to me this evening. A reading of 2.8 on the river gauge is about max high water to attempt an under-bridge limbo at Milldam and Blackwater Road. Started with the micro spinner and caught a few panfish, so put it away 'cause I didn't want tacos. Shifted to plastics but couldn't find a bite. Ended with a Pop R and caught a pretty little bowfin, which made my night. Oddly, though, there wasn't a single bass. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Tuesday, June 25 (from Ron)...Fished upper North landing from Indian River Road between 6 and 8 p.m. Only managed one little white perch (micro spinner), one dink bowfin (Pop Shad Z), and one small bass (Pop R). At least, I had some topwater action. It was rather warm. Forecast said 50 percent cloud cover, but I wasn't in that area!

Wednesday, June 26 (from Ron)...Was one of those evenings where everything went wrong, and the jets flying overhead were just too much! Fished upper North landing from 7 to 8:10 p.m. and caught four bass: three dinks and a 1-6. All fell to the ol' Fluke on a keel-weighted hook. Just as I wanted to experiment with topwater, near sunset, the jets doing touch and gos at Fentress were too loud...to the point where even my bones were shaking...and I had to bail. By the way, I hate jet noise! Yeah, I get it, "sound of freedom" and all that stuff, but I just wanted some peace and quiet.

Thursday, June 27 (from Tom & Ken)...We launched about 7 or 7:30 this morning and fished 'til about 11:30. We ended the trip with a total of five bass, including three keepers and two dinks. Tom also lost a nice one right beside the boat that jumped at the last minute and threw the hook. Feel pretty sure that fish would have gone about 5 lbs. or perhaps a little better. As Tom aptly noted when it happened, "At least I wasn't fishing a tournament." And, of course, yours truly had to tie into what is becoming an increasing trend: one of those toothy bowfins. As luck would have it, he had gotten both trebles on my bait, and it took probably 15 or 20 minutes to set him free. All in all, not a bad day...until, that is, I got in my van to come home and glanced up at the temperature gauge, which just happened to be registering a sweltering 100 degrees at the time. Quickly cranked up the A/C and hit the road. First place I stopped when I arrived home was...you probably guessed it...the shower.

Thursday, June 27 (from Ron)...Went to upper east side of Back Bay this evening. No jets, no wind, peaceful, and a pretty good bite. Started with Zoom Fluke and caught a 1-14, 1-8 and a 3-0. Made the mistake of changing my location and shifting to topwater. The Pop R caught three dinks and a 1-13, but in hindsight, should have stuck with the fluke and stayed where I was. A total of seven bass between 7 and 8:15 wasn't bad. There were a whole bunch of bait pods all over the place. All the bass were tight to shore...maybe due to the heat?

Saturday, June 29 (from Ron)...Fished Milldam from 08 'til 11:00 this morning. The kid went with me, so that was nice. We each caught four bass and each had a biggest at 2-10. Flukes and worms were the ticket. Tried Pop R, which landed a crappie and threw a micro spinner that got a few small white perch. Happy to have caught a pole-bending bowfin at 5-10. That alone was all I needed.

Sunday, June 30 (from Ron)...Tried an ol' haunt on base. Fished from 7:00 to 10:00 and got one strike that resulted in a 1-14 bass. It was a close call, but I managed to avoid the skunk. My next report won't be until at least Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment