Tuesday, June 4, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, June 9, 2019



Tuesday, June 4 (from Ray)...My friend told me that he caught fish (five, as I recall) to a little better than 2 lbs. today. He made it a point to tell me that he had some dinks in the mix but that one of them qualified as what he called "a super dink." All but one of the fish were caught on worms.

Tuesday, June 4 (from Ken)...Launched at 7 and quit at 2, even though I never felt like even being there today. When my feet hit the floor at 4 o'clock this morning, something went drastically wrong with my system, and I began feeling incredibly ill. I was sick to my stomach, had a bad case of gas, and was belching and hiccuping almost non-stop. Several times while I was on the water, I felt like I was going to lose what little breakfast I had, but that fortunately never happened. It took me nearly two hours to find a bait that would work. As it turned out, it was the same bait my partner used most of the day last Saturday during the tournament to catch all his fish. I ended today with a total of seven bass...the best four of which weighed in at 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, and 1-11. I also lost a few, including one that hit about 15 minutes before I called it a day. If I had gotten this fish in the boat, she really would have made my day, but as it turned out, I only got a close look at her before she slipped back into the depths. The episode started with casting my bait up to the base of a big cypress tree and allowing it to settle to the bottom. When I then raised the tip, I felt tremendous weight and debated whether to set the hook, because I was afraid it might be a log or a big turtle. Nevertheless, I gambled and soon became convinced that I indeed had either a log or turtle on the end of my line. I say that because I couldn't just reel in whatever it was. I literally had to winch it the whole distance by repeatedly reeling down to the water and lifting upward. When the line was vertical beside the boat, I raised up one last time to see a bass the size of those I normally only dream about. Imagine my surprise, 'cause at no point while bringing the fish to the boat did I feel any head shakes or movement whatsoever. It was just totally dead weight. While hanging there beside my trolling motor, the giant bass shook her head ever so gently just one time and immediately slipped off my hook. I've waited a lot of years since being equally close to but losing another bass the same size on Chickahominy, and I don't figure I'll be around long enough to have another opportunity...if I have to wait the same amount of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though.

Sunday, June 9 (from Ken)...Ever wondered how big the local waterways are? According to a 127-page document titled Water Resources in the Southern Watershed of Virginia Beach, which I found online today at https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/public-works/comp-sea-level-rise/Documents/water-resources-south-wshed-4-2-18-a.pdf, they rank (from largest to smallest) as follows: Back Bay - 64,907 acres, North Landing River - 62,965 acres, Northwest River - 2,141 acres. Just thought you might like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment