Sunday, March 3, 2019

Remembering Our Friend and Fishing Buddy

Following is the first of what I hope will be a number of testimonials from anglers who fish the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tournament Series.

Let's face it: Not every angler is willing to share his wealth of knowledge about bass fishing, but some are, and according to Red Bruun (left in accompanying photo), our recently departed friend Al Napier (right in accompanying photo) was one of those "open books," so to speak.

"That's the thing I admired most about Al," said Red. "Much of what I know today about the area around West Neck is the result of Al's willingness to share what he knew. I hadn't fished West Neck much at all until he talked me into fishing a few of the Dewey tournaments.

"The first time I talked at length with Al must have been at least 20 years ago," continued Red. "My wife and I were camped next to him and Penny at North Bend Park on Kerr. The last time I talked to him was a couple of weeks ago. We had had a couple of nice days, and I was planning to go fishing the next day.

"I called Al, but his son said he wasn't feeling good and to call back the next day. I figured he would not be up to going out on the water, so I went by myself. I hit the water about 9 o'clock and had not had the first bite yet when Al called me around noon.

"We talked for a while, and before we hung up, he told me to go catch a good one. I put away my phone, made a couple of casts, and...don't you know...caught a good one.

"Having fished with Al in several tournaments over the years, including some in the Dewey series, I learned one important thing: I always could count on him for good input on where to fish and to catch that 'key fish' when we needed it.

"Rest in peace, buddy."


As noted in the previous testimonial, Al (seated right) was an "open book" when it came to sharing his wealth of fishing knowledge with others.

Here's a photo of him talking to a young Wounded Warrior during a Region 7-sponsored event held at Munden Point Park in Virginia Beach. The Wounded Warrior pictured here was Al's non-boater companion for the day.

Whether it was Al's sons, Chris and Allen; his tournament partner for the day; or a total stranger, if fishing was involved, you always could count on Al being "all in."


So, what happens when a couple of seasoned anglers decide to hook up as tournament partners? To put it bluntly, they become a force to be reckoned with, especially when they both prefer the same style of fishing. The evidence of that became abundantly clear during a March 12, 2016, Region 7 tournament on Lake Gaston.

Al and his region partner, Wayne Hayes (left), put on a clinic of sorts en route to capturing first place. Their final tally for a six-fish limit was 22.45 pounds, which included Al's 5.76-pound big fish. The ticket to success was their deep-water expertise. They spent a good part of the day with the boat resting in 25 feet of water, while they plied the bottom with jigs.

Those same "winning ways" continued into 2017, when Al and Wayne claimed the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Classic crown with a two-day record-setting total of 32.69 pounds of fish. The duo also walked away with the 2017 seasonal-lunker award for a 6.82-pound bass that they weighed during the July 22nd tournament.

Can't get much better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Prayers please.

    It was with great sorrow that I learned my brother-in-law passed away yesterday at the young age of 65. Alfred Leroy Napier wasn't just my brother-in-law, he was my Brother Firefighter, one of my best friends ever, with a devil may care attitude about everything in life.

    We met when he reported for duty at Loring AFB fire department before his 18th birthday and we became immediate friends. I had the great fortune to be one of his trainers and he eventually became my driver on the best rescue team in the Air Force, at least that's what they put in the report from the AFCRFEAT visit from Tyndall.
    Then for some reason I took him home for supper one night, and he met my younger sister Penny. Next thing you know their married, what a reception, right Ray Mills! After his four years he got out of the air force as a Buck Sgt and later returned to Loring as a Civilian Firefighter.
    Some years later they made a move for him to work at NOB Norfolk VA, eventually becoming Chief for Training for the Mid Atlantic USN Regional Fire Department. He was an intelligent hard working fire officer, always watching and working to make all the firefighters more proficient and safe.
    With me at Langley, and him in Norfolk it was simple to pick up and party like there was no tomorrow, as most young firefighters are prone to do even today.
    Today is the saddest I have been I a long time. I will miss him more than words can express.

    Al leaves behind his wife Penny, sons Allen and Christopher and his newest joy of a lifetime, grandson Liam, and a sister Barb. I send prayers of comfort to all of his family and friends and to his fishing partners. His fishing is renown throughout the entire Tidewater VA and Northeast NC regions.

    Al I wish you safe journey my friend, I'll meet you on the top floor Brother, till then, five bells and we'll take it from here.

    ReplyDelete