Friday, March 29, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, March 31, 2019



Friday, March 29 (from Ken)...A team of wild horses couldn't have kept me away from West Neck this morning. It was my choice between today and tomorrow, and as things worked out, it's a good thing I chose this as my fishing day (more on that a little later, though). Started at the mouth of West Neck this morning about 8:30 or 9 o'clock and hadn't made but about a half-dozen casts with a crankbait before I had the first dink in the boat. Decided to stay on the same side all the way back, then switched sides of the creek and repeated the procedure. Had just finished putting my second dink in the boat when I glanced up ahead and saw about 2 or 3 inches of a stump sticking out of the water a good distance off the shoreline. Made a cast with the same little crankbait I ended up staying with all day. It went past the stump but was close enough to bump it on the way back by it. At that instant, I saw a fish flash in the water, then felt a solid thump. I set the hook, and the fish immediately started toward the middle of the creek, taking drag the whole time. At that point, I was thinking striper, but once I worked the fish near the boat, I could see it was a good-sized mama largemouth. Grabbed my to-that-point-unused net, and as she got close enough, gently slid the net under her and breathed a sigh of relief. Once aboard, I snapped a couple of quick photos and weighed her. The scales registered 5-12. I then placed the fish back in the water, and she immediately let go of my thumb and headed back in the direction from whence she had come. When I finally quit about 2:30, I had boated another dink and a 1-4, giving me a total of five on the day...and all with the same little crankbait with which I had started. As for that other matter I spoke of in the beginning of this report, I saw that the lights in my storage shed were out when I opened the door this afternoon. As I would learn, something had tripped the breaker on my surge protector. With Gene's help, we traced the problem to some rats, mice or other creatures that have been chewing on my heavy-duty electrical cord. Will be getting with Gene tomorrow to fix the cord and install some conduit on it to (hopefully) ward off any further intrusions from my unwanted friends.

Friday, March 29 (from Skip)...I had a fair amount of company on the water today, including the duo of Chris Vitovich and Skip Schaible. It wasn't until the end of the day, though, that I had an opportunity to catch up with Skip and find out how they did. Seems they, too, stayed in West Neck all morning, then quit somewhere around noon. For Chris, this was a practice day for a tournament he has tomorrow. Meanwhile, Skip was along just for a day of fun fishing. Also saw Steve Bailey and Lenny Hall on the water today but haven't gotten a report from either one of them.

Friday, March 29 (from Ray)...Fished Pocaty. The water was low and visibility was a little over a foot. Didn’t get the water temperature. Caught 5 bass and 1 crappie. The largest bass went 3.36 pounds, and two were less than a pound. Tried several lures, but all fish were caught on a spinnerbait, with a 4-inch white-swimbait trailer. Spoke to a guy in a brand new Ranger who caught 5 bass, but he said they were small.

Saturday, March 30 (from Ron)...After nearly two weeks without fishing, feeling a bit rusty. High water and strong wind didn't help. Fished Milldam from 4 to 7:20 p.m. Got a catfish on a jerkbait (XTS) about 6:30, and the way he fought, thought it was a big bass. Stumbled onto a white perch about 7 o'clock, and closed out the evening with a 2-3 bass a few minutes later. Not a fan of the high water, which was surprisingly clear.

Saturday, March 30 (from Skip)...By 1:15, when the wind kicked up, I had 4 fish. Only one was a keeper. Caught two on a senko, one on a finesse worm, and one on a crankbait. Couldn't get any solid bites on my fluke. The fish kept slapping at it, but I couldn't get a hookup. Thought maybe I should have put on some smelly jelly. I got out about 8, and the parking lot already was full. Two consecutive days really have kicked my butt.

1 comment: