Monday, March 11, 2019

Fishing Partners Who Left Lasting Impressions


There's at least an even chance we've all had a few of those folks occupy the backseat of our boats over the years. Here are some experiences I found online.

     * A guy on the front pedestal was bass fishing while his partner was muskie fishing. "Even though I'd navigate respectfully around the bank fishermen," said the bass angler, "this muskie guy would cast w-a-a-a-y in amongst them. I would tell him he ought to back off, but he'd persist in violating their space. One bank fisherman finally read him the riot act, while I silently enjoyed every moment of the chewing."

     * A son was fishing with his dad, who was in the front of the boat. "I kept throwing in front of him," said the son, even after he told me if I did it again he would cut my line. I was dumb enough to try again, and he cut my line."

     * A fella was fishing with a guy in an 8-foot pond-prowler type boat. This partner usually brought seven or eight combos, a big tackle bag, and a big Igloo cooler, while the owner usually only brought three or four combos. "Because he has so many combos, the partner usually starts laying them on top of my stuff," said the owner. "As a result, I have to ask him to pick up his rods so I can get one of mine. I normally stand, but the partner generally asks me to bring a seat for him, even though he only uses it about 25 percent of the time. To have the room he needs to stand, he pushes all his gear toward me and then casts way ahead of me. I have to watch constantly to make sure he's not stepping on my rods or putting his cooler on top of them.
     "To make matters worse, I also have a Nitro boat, and this partner invariably will walk through the biggest mud hole he can find before getting in and then leave tracks all over the carpet. He never hooks his lure to his rods when he changes combos, which means he often will have seven or eight lures dangling free. Many end up stuck in the carpet, and others knock the paint off my outboard when he hits it with the lures while casting. I've pointed out all these things to him, but he just doesn't get it."

     * A man takes his brother and nephew fishing, and when he goes to fish an old roadbed, picks up his hand-held GPS only to learn that all 3 years of his waypoints are missing. His brother sees something is wrong and asks what it is. He then admits that the nephew was messing with the GPS when something happened. "I was mad but bit my tongue," said the man. "At this point, the trip was over for me. I pulled into the middle of the lake and told my brother he could have the front of the boat. He and my nephew worm-fished in 30 feet of water while I sat behind the wheel. As I was moving them to a new spot, I intentionally bumped the choke a couple of times to make the motor skip and sputter. I subsequently said, 'Oh, something seems to be wrong with the motor. We'd better head in.'"

     * A fella takes his brother-in-law fishing. While the brother-in-law is a super good dude, a great carpenter, and will do anything for anybody, he never takes care of anything--his or yours. As the fella noted, "A while back, I noticed the brother-in-law's chainsaw was laying on a pile of Lone Star empties in the bed of his truck. A month later, it still was there, so I asked him if he wanted to turn it over, so it could rain on the other side for a while. He just laughed."

      * And finally, a guy who lived in the ghetto of his city had neighbors who always were asking to go fishing with him. One day, he got up the patience and courage to take a few of 'em along. He took two 14-year-olds and their 29-year-old dad. It was their first time ever in a boat. Said the good samaritan, "When I hit about 50 mph, they were crying. When I got to 65, one of the kids (who had peed himself) actually asked me to stop. I'm now thinking, 'What the heck have I gotten myself into?' We're bream fishing, because I figured they probably all could catch a bream. I caught like 20 that were the perfect size for trotlines, and they wanted to keep everyone of  'em. When we finally headed home, all we had were those 20 goldfish-sized bream I had caught. As I learned, however, they didn't know how to clean the fish, so I had to do it for them. Looking back now, I can laugh, but at the time, I was ready to sell my boat."

No comments:

Post a Comment