Saturday, March 31, 2018

Looks Like the Fishing Is Starting To Pick Up



Despite another chilly start this morning, 15 anglers in 10 boats turned out for the second tournament of the year. At day's end, they had caught a total of 32 bass, including four limits, for a total weight of 57.05 lbs. The average weight per fish was 1.78 lbs.

Competitors who claimed pay envelopes included the following:





Finishing in 1st place was the team of (from left) Red Bruun and Craig Jones. Their limit weighed in at 12.75 lbs. They also had the big fish, which tipped the scales at 4.26 lbs.




Claiming 2nd place was the team of (from left) Dave Anderson and Rob Peppers. Their limit weighed a total of 10.26 lbs. They didn't weigh a big fish.











Going home with 3rd place was yours truly (yeah, I'm still in shock, too). My limit had a total weight of 8.39 lbs., and my big fish checked in at 2.26 lbs.



Rounding out today's winners were (from left) Nate Fretard and his dad, Chris Fretard. They won the mystery-weight prize with four bass weighing 5.56 lbs., which was closest to the drawn weight of 5 lbs. even.




Here is how everyone else finished the competition:

     * Jim Wilder, five bass, 6.74 lbs. total weight, 1.79-lb. big fish.
     * The father-son team of Chris and Al Napier, four bass, 5.61 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Bobby Moore, two bass, 4.40 lbs. total weight, 3.43-lb. big fish.
     * Skip Schaible, one bass, 2.47 lbs. total weight.
     * The team of Eric Killian and Jim Crist, one bass, 0.87 lbs. total weight.
     * Steve Bailey did not weigh any fish.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is Saturday, April 7, from safe light to weigh-in at 3 p.m. I hope you can join us.


Came real close to losing a nearly new rod and reel over the side of my boat this morning. The fingerless gloves I was wearing were allowing my hands to get colder (and number) than I like. All of a sudden, as I turned loose with a cast, the rod popped out of my hand and headed over the starboard side. I made three stabs to grab the handle and finally achieved success. Laid my rod and reel down for a few minutes then to warm up my hands. Fortunately, there were no repeat performances.

Tried some different culling clips today that were totally useless. When I went to get the fish out of my livewell, I quickly learned that every single one of the clips had come undone from their mouths. Am thinking that I'll probably make the plunge for a set of clips like the one of Rob C's that I tried out this past Wednesday. When the water is as cold as it was today, the last thing I feel like doing is chasing a bunch of bass around the livewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment