Wednesday, July 19, 2017

For the Week Ending Sunday, July 23, 2017



Monday, July 17 (from Ron)...Fished Milldam. Caught three dinks and a slew of small white perch, with two near 12 inches. Also caught one crappie. Tried a micro crankbait and a Strike King Mini, which attracted "mini" fish, but it was fun.

Tuesday, July 18 (from Ron)...Fished Lotus Garden and Muddy Creek. Caught a 1-2, 1-4, 1-15, 2-6, and 2-14 for a good evening. One fell for the Pop ShadZ. All the rest were caught on the Whopper Plopper. 

Wednesday, July 19 (from Ron)...Fished Tecumseh, with the dreadful launch. There was a boat pulling around a water skier! Ugh! Fished 6 to 9 p.m., and the only bite I got was a massive gar that drug me around for a bit. Easily was over 40 inches, but I couldn't get a grip on him, and he threw the hook yakside.

Wednesday, July 19 (from Ken)...Intent on getting a day on the water before the tournament this Saturday, and having to fit it in with other commitments, today was my best opportunity, so I went for it. The trip wasn't very productive, but I managed to boat a total of five bass (one dink, a 1-12, 1-3, 1-4, and a 1-5), along with a small striper. I also had a couple other fish on but lost 'em en route to the boat, and there were some blowups without connections. Caught everything in West Neck on big topwater baits. When a small shower moved in about 1 p.m., the raindrops felt so nice I decided to leave my rain gear in the storage compartment and just soak up all the moisture. Only two rigs were in the parking lot when I launched this morning, and both of those had packed up and left when I came in at 2 o'clock. Another rig launched just ahead of my return to the ramp, but that was the extent of my company today.

Thursday, July 20 (from Ron)...Launched at Indian River Road, with the gauge reading 2.4. Fished from 6 to 9 p.m. Got a 1-0 on the Whopper Plopper, a 2-2 on the new crankbait, a dink on a Pop-R, and a dink on the Swim Senko. Also caught a fat little 10-inch white perch on the crankbait. Had a bunch of misses on the WP, as they seemed to be short striking and not committed. Maybe it was too hot!

Friday, July 21 (from Ron)...Launched from Blackwater Road and fished from 1700 to 2100. Caught four bass, including a 1-10, 2-3, 2-15, and a dink. Also caught three nice white perch. My lucky lures included a Whopper Plopper, Pop-R, and a Fluke.

Saturday, July 22 (from Ron)...Launched at Munden Point Park and crossed to Milldam (Snake Creek South) this morning. Nary a nibble between 0730 and 0930, then they started biting. I caught a huge bowfin on a Pop-R. Got him yakside and the lip grip on him, then he about twisted my arm off. I dropped then recovered him and once again grabbed hold with the lip grip. Was holding him up and trying to get the hook out when he decided to spin around, twist loose, land in my lap, and jump overboard, all the while throwing the hook and lip grip. Buddy I was with saw him. Definitely citation at 30 inches plus, maybe 10 lbs. "Shucks!" I said. Buddy caught a 13.5-inch citation white perch on the Whopper Plopper and added several crappie. I caught a dink bass, a 1-8 bass, and three white perch to 11 inches. By 1045, the heat had driven us back to Munden.

Sunday, July 23 (from Ray)...My son, Barry, and I fished West Neck today, as hot as it was. Ended up with an assortment of 12 fish, and all were very small, but it still was fun. Water was high and clear, and the surface temperature was 88 degrees. Grubs and small spinners were the only thing that worked for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment