Monday, July 10, 2017

For the Week Ending Sunday, July 16, 2017



Monday, July 10 (from Ray...Caught five bass, including two at 1-14, a 1-13, and two youngsters. Also picked up one perch. Don't know what happened to the bream, but I always enjoy the ultralite. Tools of the day were the Pop ShadZ, Yum Dinger, and small spinnerbait. I wanted to fish Albright's today, but the fish keep biting in West Neck.

Monday, July 10 (from Ron)...No Name Creek may as well be called "no bass creek." Fished there from 1830 to 2100. Lost one dink yakside. Caught two small white perch and a warmouth on the Bomber Square A. No topwater action to speak of. Still nice to be out there for a long trip.

Tuesday, July 11 (from Ken)...I decided to make today the 2017 "coming out" day for my INT bait. Fished it all day long in West Neck Creek and had action throughout the whole eight hours I spent on the water. Unfortunately, I will have to go through the same issue that befell me last year: getting my hooksets timed correctly. Easily missed at least 15 serious strikes today. Ended up boating a total of five bass, including three dinks, plus a 1-14 and a 2-4.

Tuesday, July 11 (from Ron)...Launched in the oppressive heat and fished North Landing River from 7 to 9 p.m. Bite was OK, and I managed five "larger" dinks. Lost as many, but they may have been warmouth or panfish. Caught everything on Pop Shadz, though I tried shallow crankbaits and Zoom Flukes to no avail. The heat was awful, and I didn't expect to go but decided to try my luck. With no wind, it was like a heat vacuum out there. Think I will take Wednesday off, as it will be even hotter.

Wednesday, July 12 (from Ron)...Fished a military installation pond. Launched at 1900, as the sun was below the tree line and less of an issue, but not really. First three casts accounted for a miss, a catch, and another miss, all on Pop ShadZ. Then came an hour of nothing. Managed two more before I quit for a total of a 1-1, 1-2 and a dink bass.

Friday, July 14 (from Ron)...Launched at West Neck Marina at 0530. By 0700, it already was way too windy. Managed a dink and a 1-4 bass on the Whopper Plopper. Left at 0730. Oh, almost forgot, I also got another personal best this morning--a gizzard shad about 1/4 inch bigger than one I got last year. Sure glad I didn't go to Back Bay this morning.

Saturday, July 15 (from Ron)...Fished Milldam Friday evening and caught two panfish before being stormed out. Was just putting the yak on the car when the sky opened up. Those two panfish were not enough, so this morning, after the thunder had passed, decided to try and add to my taco fare. Went back to high-water Milldam and the rip rap launch and fished from 1200 to 1330, without getting much. Broke out a new crankbait that mimics those gizzard shad and soon had more panfish and then some. Then, as I was looking down a feeder creek, I saw a great no-grass channel and decided to throw a Whopper Plopper, and, wham! a nice 4-14 bass (my biggest of the year) smacked it. Later, while trolling a beetlespin for more panfish, my pole doubled over on a feisty 6-10 bowfin. In the ensuing battle, the bowfin got all tangled in my trolled line. Have never seen such a fat bowfin--really made my day. And the new crankbait is a champ, too. Was a great day. Recovered about 1600, the same time the sky darkened and the bolts arrived once again. Was happy to get my bowfin and some more taco fare, as well.

Sunday, July 16 (from Ron)...Fished Milldam from late morning 'till 3 p.m., with Alex. Caught five white perch, seven dinks, and a 1-8--all on topwater (Pop ShadZ and Whopper Plopper). Alex scored a few but nothing tipping the scales. His catch included a lot of panfish and some big sunfish on micro crankbaits. Two of my dinks hit the Swim Senko.

No comments:

Post a Comment