Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Remember the Ill-Fated S.S. Minnow of Gilligan's Island Fame?


My best-laid plans pretty well end up the same way much of the time.

For instance, just the other day, as I hopped online to order a couple spares of a certain color of a particular lure (and that's all I'm going to say about it), I couldn't find it anywhere I looked. Since the lure is relatively new, I couldn't believe this color already had been discontinued.

Then, a few days later, as I was out at the marina, trying to get some things done to my boat, people kept stopping by to chat a spell. Although it was quite easy to see what I was up to, most would ask, "What ya' doin'?" and I would oblige with a courteous answer.

My only hope was that none of them could read my innermost thoughts; after all, precious moments were slipping by ever so quickly, and I wasn't getting anything done. When the last guest finally had departed, I glanced at my watch, only to find I had no time left to finish my to-do list, so I just closed the door and headed home.

Guess maybe I'm not like most people in that, when I'm busy doing something, I'd just as soon not have any distractions. In short, I don't do well trying to walk and chew gum at the same time. I also don't drive and talk on the cellphone simultaneously.

However, I digress. Getting back to my original point, I decided to follow up the matter of lure-color availability with the manufacturer. I had an email response from a company rep in near-record time, in which he explained that the color I wanted is only available from one chain of stores. You simply cannot get it from any other outlet--not even from the manufacturer's online store.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'm guessing this practice very well may be duplicated throughout other establishments...for whatever reason. Just thought I'd pass the info along, for the benefit of anyone else who may have been as far in the dark as I was.

Let me also point out that, when you're looking for something like out-of-production lures on eBay, it pays to keep checking back on a regular basis. I just this past weekend happened upon a new listing for something I've been watching for the last three weeks or so. Turns out I got the last one the owner had in stock, and the mailman is supposed to deliver it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment