Saturday, May 27, 2017

Limits All the Way Around



Seems a fair bet that all 14 anglers in the 9 boats today would tell you that they had a good time. It isn't often that everyone in the field weighs a five-fish limit, but that's exactly what happened.






Laying claim to first place was (from left) Bob Glass and Randy Conkle, with a total weight of 15.71 lbs. Their big fish weighed 4.54 lbs.










The second place prize went to (from left) Chris Fretard and Mike Miller, with a total weight of 15.46 lbs. Their big fish weighed 4.55 lbs., which was good enough to take big-fish honors.












The mystery-weight winner was Lenny Hall, with a total weight of 8.48 lbs, which was closest to the drawn weight of 4.05 lbs. He didn't weigh a big fish.








Here is how everyone else finished today's competition:

     * Steve Bailey had a total weight of 13.62 lbs. His big fish weighed 3.56 lbs.
     * Mitch Portervint and Skip Schaible had a total weight of 12.67 lbs. after a 0.25 dead-fish penalty. Their big fish weighed 4.02 lbs.
     * Don Carter and Rob Peppers had a total weight of 11.40 lbs.. They didn't weigh a big fish.
     * Bobby Moore had a total weight of 10.97 lbs. He didn't weigh a big fish.
     * Wayne Hayes and Al Napier had a total weight of 10.23 lbs. They didn't weigh a big fish.
     * Ken Testorff had a total weight of 9.05 lbs. His big fish weighed 3.53 lbs.

Those numbers translate into these overall statistics: 45 bass weighed, 107.59 lbs. total weight, for an average weight of 2.39 lbs. per fish.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who joined us today. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is Saturday, June 10, from safe light to 2 p.m. I hope you can and will join us.

In the meantime, you're all invited to join Chris Vitovich and all his helpers next Sunday, June 4, at West Neck Marina for the annual Cancer Classic. You can get all the details by clicking on the article that appears at the top of the righthand sidebar on my blog's homepage.


Imagine my surprise when my bilge pump suddenly kicked on this afternoon shortly before time to head back to West Neck for weigh-in. There hadn't been a lick of rain all day, and yet a steady stream of water was being pumped over the side.

Turns out my fanny had made contact with one of the switches on my console that pumps water into the livewell. That contact had changed the switch's position from auto to manual, which was feeding a constant stream of water into the one livewell at a faster pace than the overflow could handle.

My first thought, however, was that the boat plug perhaps had failed. When I saw water spilling out of the livewell, though, I knew exactly what had happened. In no time, I had the matter under control.

This was another all-day topwater bite for me for the most part. I caught 7 of my 8 fish on the lure I'm calling my Whopper Popper. The one other fish hit my modified Senko rig. I spent the day fishing primarily four different stretches of water in Albright's.

All in all, it was a good day--plenty of sunshine, light winds, and no rain. Sure hope this is a signal of things to come. I'm really tired of the nasty stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment