Thursday, October 27, 2016

What I'm Hearing from Friends Today


After dropping off my wife at the Pungo beauty salon earlier today, I ran over to West Neck Marina and, as luck would have it, bumped into a couple of friends who had been out looking for some fish.

The first fella I talked to was Bob G., who said he only had been out a couple of hours but had managed to find two bass in the 2-lb. range and, if my recollection serves me correct, a few perch. While we were talking, he mentioned what he had heard about some recent shock tests officials had run on the Northwest River from Bob's Fishing Hole. The word, as he got it, was that the shocks turned up a few grindle and other fish but absolutely no bass whatever.

The reality, as he put it, is that those anglers fishing the memorial tournament out of Bob's this Sunday probably had better plan on doing a little running if they want to find any bass.

I also talked to Ray S., who told me that he had found four bass today, including a couple of dinks, a 1-6, and a 1-8. His productive lures were a spinnerbait and some topwater baits.

Ray and I are a couple of guys who really enjoy fishing Albright's Creek, as evidenced by the fact we often run across each other down there. More times than not, we will stop and chat a while on those occasions. The conversations nearly always include a discussion of what's working and what's not, as well as any particular stretches of shoreline that seem to be yielding a concentration of fish.

Haven't heard from my friend, Ron, yet tonight, but plan to hold this for a little while, just to find out if I do.



"Tecumseh was near white caps with the 18-to-20-mph southerly wind that was blowing this evening," said Ron, "but I didn't mind. Got a bit wet pushing through the chop to find some protection on the southern shore, as well as a few decent bass."

The Whopper Plopper did the lion's share of the catching. It accounted for a 1-9, 2-4, and the sweet 4-2 bass pictured above. Then, near dark, came the 24.5-inch citation-size pickerel pictured below. "He swiped at the WP about four times before he committed," said Ron, adding, "I thought I had a bowfin."

My kayak friend went on to note he also caught a dink yellow perch on a beetlespin this evening.

He wrapped up his email like this: "Was a beautiful evening"--in more ways than one, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment