Tuesday, October 4, 2016

'Twas a Day of the Little Guys



If you need any convincing, you shouldn't have to look any farther than this photo, which had me scratching my head, wondering which was bigger: the lure or the fish. This catch marked the start of my day, and it never really got much better by the time I quit about 3 o'clock this afternoon.

I ended up boating a total of eight bass and one pickerel, none of which were more than 12 inches long. Half of the day's total came on this and some other wakebaits I was throwing. The other half came on a Whopper Plopper in monkey butt color. In one sense, I was pleased just to finally be catching some fish on this latter bait, but at the same time, I was disappointed that I didn't boat at least one keeper-sized bass with it. I know several anglers who have been catching some nice fish on this bait.

All my fish came off grassy shorelines, mostly from points. I went to the back of Albright's for a spell to fish the wood, but I raised only one pass at my Whopper Plopper, and that was the extent of my action back there. It didn't take me very long to decide on running back to the front and stay with the grass for the rest of the day.

I reckon you might say the monkey butt made a bit o' monkey out of me today, but that's OK. It isn't the first time this has happened to me, and I feel pretty certain it won't be the last, either.

The weatherman this morning promised winds of 10 to 20 mph, and I feel sure they reached every bit of that and probably more at times today. Let's just say the trolling motor got a real good workout.

Now it's a matter of sitting back and waiting to see what Hurricane Matthew does. Like everyone else, I'm hoping for the best. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this thing doesn't foul up our two-day Classic on the 15th and 16th.


I had an email from Ron, saying he finally had gotten back on the kayak this evening and had found a few takers. He launched and fished north of the North Landing Drawbridge for three hours without finding much, except for two dinks and a 1-6.

On the way back, just after dark, though, he caught a nice 2-12 (see photo above) on the Whopper Plopper, which ended his trip on a positive note. "He was a fatty and gave a good fight," said Ron.

No comments:

Post a Comment