Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Cool Start to the Day But Not Bad


Armed with a thermos full of coffee and my multiple layers of clothing, I headed to West Neck this morning--albeit not at the crack of dawn as usual. I slept a little longer and didn't rush getting around, as was evidenced by the fact I didn't leave the ramp until about 9 o'clock. I really don't worry about "an early-morning bite" this time of year--it just doesn't pay.

I started my search for bass with a chatterbait, which I kept hanging up, so I decided to try a little XPS wakebait from Bass Pro Shops. Almost immediately, I had a couple of fish make a pass at my bait, but both missed. That sign, though, was all the convincing I needed to stay with that wakebait for the rest of the day. Besides, I wasn't looking for a big bite. I just wanted to feel a few tugs on my line.

At the end of the day, that's exactly what I had gotten. I ended up catching five dinks (all in West Neck Creek), a couple of which would have measured at least 12 inches. With that being the case, I didn't even pause to weigh any of them or to take any pictures. I just unhooked them as quickly as possible and returned them to the water.

I fished a worm for a while today, but as was the case with the chatterbait, it wasn't generating any action, so I soon put it down and stayed with what was working.

I'm not sure if another outing this week is in the cards or not. If I do get out, will do another post. And if I receive a report from Ron a little later tonight, will add it to this note.


Found out from Ron that he ventured into upper North Landing this evening and headed to No Name Creek. He fished there from 4 p.m. 'til dark, catching one 13-inch striper on the XTS minnow and one 13-inch crappie on a Bomber A square-bill crankbait. He also had a few blowups on the Whopper Plopper but no hookups.

"Again, it got a bit chilly at sunset, brrrr!" said my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment