Saturday, October 1, 2016

Only 1 Pound Separates 1st Thru 4th Places Today



We've had some close contests over the years but none closer (that I know of) than today's tournament involving 22 anglers in 13 boats. When the dust had settled and I had reviewed the weigh-in sheet, it was quite evident that those anglers in 1st thru 4th places really had only "squeaked" by one another.

Here are those guys who took home the money envelopes today:




Laying claim to 1st place was this team of (from left) Mike Miller and Chris Fretard. They, like everyone else today but yours truly, weighed a limit of five bass. Their total weight was 14.43 lbs., anchored by the day's lunker, a 5.88-pounder, which Mike caught.








Finishing in 2nd place was Wayne Hayes, whose bag weighed a total of 14.17 lbs. His big fish weighed 5.36 lbs.





Taking 3rd place was this team of (from left) Chris Napier and Jared Allbritten. Their total weight was 13.70 lbs., anchored by a 3.89-lb. big fish.





Walking away in 4th place was this team of (from left) Rob Peppers and Don Carter. Their limit weighed 13.43 lbs., with no big fish.







I again came away from today's competition as the mystery-weight winner. My three bass weighed 5 lbs. even, which was closest to the 3.20 tab that was drawn.








And last but by no means least is the fact this man, Gary Coderre, captured our 2016 Angler of the Year award today by virtue of amassing a grand total weight of 144.93 lbs. through 16 tournaments this season. His name will be added to the AOY perpetual plaque located in the marina store.






Here is how all the other anglers finished today's competition:

     * The team of Mike Speedy and Stephen Hardwick, 11.52 lbs. total weight, 4.70-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Al Napier and Eddie Sapp, 10.41 lbs. total weight, 3.45-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Gary Coderre and Lenny Hall, 10.34 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Bob Glass and Randy Conkle, 9.26 lbs. total weight, 2.72-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Mitch Portervint and Skip Schaible, 8.52 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, 8.06 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Jim Wilder, 7.88 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Doug Newton and Bart Gore were not able to complete today's tournament due to boat problems.

Overall, the field weighed a total of 58 bass for a total weight of 126.72 lbs. The average weight was 2.18 lbs.

Four more anglers became eligible to fish our season-ending two-day Classic on Oct. 15th and 16th. Barring any changes, this tournament will have 33 anglers in 18 boats vying for prize money.

Congrats to all of these winners, and thanks to everyone who came out to participate--not just today but throughout the entire year. You've all done the memory of Dewey Mullins proud.


While working a stretch of shoreline down in Albright's this afternoon, I suddenly heard something coming through the marsh in the distance. I trained my eyes in the direction from which the sound was coming, and I wasn't disappointed. Three does eventually emerged from the brush and quickly swam across the creek. That scene, coupled with all the grass, reeds and other things turning brown, signals that another season is once again coming to a close.

I know some of the tourney anglers soon will be turning their attention to hunting. However, I plan to follow my usual plan and just continue getting in some fishing days, as the weather permits, right on through the fall and winter. I had a rather delightful time during this period last year, fishing some jerkbaits, so I'll probably try my hand at the same thing this year. My fishing days will be shorter, and I'll have a big thermos of coffee at the ready most trips, but my joy will rest in pretty much having the water to myself.

Oh sure, there will be hunters out and about, but I usually can find an area to myself, so that I don't get in anyone's way.

No comments:

Post a Comment