Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Straight Skinny About My Day in Straight Creek

When I left the house this morning, bound for West Neck Marina, there was no doubt whatsoever about my game plan. Charlie's latest trip a week or so ago to Straight Creek had solidified my decision. I was going to see if I could pick up where he left off. As luck would have it, I was able to do just that.

Ten minutes after killing the gas motor and hopping on the trolling motor this morning, I put my first bass of the day in the boat. Before I wrapped up and headed back to West Neck at 2 o'clock, I had gone on to boat a total of seven bass and one yellow perch. The biggest bass only weighed 1-9 (in picture above), but of the seven, there were six keepers, so I was more than a little satisfied.

Of the dozen or so baits that I tried today, only one worked. That lure was the mylar minnow (right), which Charlie painted for me some time ago--many thanks, my good friend. Most of the fish were taking the bait on the edge of the channel. What I found especially "cool" about the day was the fact the water was so clear I got to see a couple of strikes that came near the boat but, because of bad timing on my part, I missed hooking them. There also was one occasion where I had a fish swirl under my bait on four straight twitches before he finally snatched it, took off running, then came about a foot out of the water. I'm sure I don't need to tell you my adrenaline really got to pumping as I watched these events unfold.

The farther south I ran this morning, the more confident I became that I would end up catching some fish today. The water temperature as I left West Neck was reading 50 degrees, and by the time I reached Straight Creek, it had reached 55.

And last but certainly not least was my appreciation of the fact that most of the "big boys" evidently have completed their trips south for the winter. I made the roundtrip today without seeing any of them. That and little wind at the ramp as I recovered the boat made for a perfect ending to a most enjoyable day on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment