Friday, December 11, 2015

Sorry, But I Have To Call It Like I See It

OK, I'll admit that this photo from 100 years ago exaggerates the road conditions you find today at West Neck Marina. However, if something isn't done soon, the exaggeration may be so slight you'll have a hard time telling the difference, especially after it rains as it did night before last.

I hadn't even slushed through all the mud and brimming-full-of-water holes to reach my boat-storage shed yesterday morning before a fellow tenant towing his boat to the ramp stopped me. He, like a lot of others among us, wanted to know when somebody is going to do something about the marina's deteriorating roadway. From the entrance, up into the boat-storage area and down around the loop to the boat ramp, especially the side near where people bank fish, is a giant mess.

It's a smart person who ignores the "5 mph" posted atop the sign that sits in the middle of the lot where you start toward the ramp. Instead, I would encourage you to try and duplicate the speed of a turtle. And even then, you're probably going to be testing every facet of your suspension. I don't know any other way to say it but that "it's really bad."

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, which is what I had to tell the fella yesterday. And the thing is, it's not just those who store their boats at West Neck that are complaining. I've also heard it from folks who simply use the West Neck ramp to launch their boats. When they're not stopping me at the marina, they're either calling or emailing me with their legitimate concerns.

To all, I would say this: Perhaps it's time to start stuffing something other than launch and bait fees into that metal box mounted just outside the door to the marina store. Perhaps it's time to start leaving your concerns and/or suggestions "on the management's doorstep," so to speak. You don't even have to sign the notes if you don't want--just say what's on your mind, and leave it at that. I feel pretty sure they'll get the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment