Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What's in a Name?

I recently received an email from John Goodman talking about the diversity in slang names/nicknames that people--especially writers--give big bass. Some of those terms seemed to befuddle him as much as they did me.

As a result, I did a little research on the Internet and found most of the ones John had listed, plus a lot more. You might say that I'm more befuddled now than ever before. Hope you have better luck than I did trying to figure out how people came up with some of these names/nicknames:


I realize these names are pretty small in this format, but if you'll click on the chart, you should be able to see everything OK.

On Monday, July 15, 2013, I was reading some of the email posts on the Stateline Bass Anglers website when I happened across a note from John Goodman that I simply can't resist taking to task in this forum. He had sent the same note that precipitated my article here to Bob's Fishing Hole and to his co-clubbers message board. In the note to his co-clubbers, however, he went so far as to suggest that they "prepare an Excel spreadsheet defining the various terms (from John's email note) and when appropriate to use each" (e.g., what size fish merits use of each term).  I'm sorry, but from where I stand (as a writer/editor with more than 50 years of experience), that kind of suggestion is ridiculous--at best--and I'm being "gentle" here. It ranks right up there with some of the suggestions I was getting from my former boss and department head, which gave me more than enough motivation to turn in my retirement papers. Incidentally, the department head just recently retired, and my former boss was so desperate to ensure he had a decent showing at his farewell party that he called and tried to get me to attend. I'll give you two guesses as to what my response was--and the first one doesn't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment