Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Slow Day, With a Lesson Learned


Jerry and his son hit the Northwest River this morning and found themselves sharing the water with those folks who were fishing the Bass Chasers open tourney. "We talked with several teams while on the water," said Jerry, "including two teams early in the day on the North Carolina side, and they were struggling just like my son and me. We also got to meet John Goodman today."

Given the grindingly slow bite today, Jerry and his son called it quits at 11:30, but not before catching 10 bass. Their best three 14-inchers weighed a total of 5 lbs. 11 ozs., including the one in this photo, which tipped the scales at 2 lbs. 9 ozs. "I caught it with my 'go to' lure (check the mouth of the fish)," said Jerry.

The "lowlight" of the day's fishing was one Jerry's son will remember for quite a while. "Over the years," as Jerry explained, "I have been notorious for hooking big bass, only to lose them in the battle. My son had noted just this morning that my hookup and catch ratio of the 'big boys' has improved lately. I told him that I've started setting my drag a lot looser than normal, and it has paid off."

Just a short while after Jerry and his son had that conversation, they relocated to a different part of the river, where his son set the hook on a fish, and the fight was on. "The bass showed itself long enough for me to estimate its weight in the 4-lb. range," said Jerry. "Then it dived and headed for the bow of the boat." At that point came a snap... "and a few words I can't publish, LOL!" noted Jerry.

Following this incident, Jerry's son let up on his drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment