Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Latest from Two Different Anglers


In a note I just received from Jerry, I learned he had gone to the Northwest today, hoping for a repeat of the day he had there last Friday when he boated 10 bass. The water level was about 8 inches higher and very tainted, he reported, but the temp still was in the 78-to-79-degree range. "Even the short bass were hard to find today," he said.

After four hours on the water, Jerry had caught four bass, with one of them "unearned," to borrow his term. "A fish swirled about 10 feet in front of my boat," he explained. "I then cast to the spot and caught the only keeper of my day." The fish weighed in at 1 lb. 10 ozs. "I've caught many fish over the years when I cast to a swirl near a tree, cypress knee or laydown," Jerry continued, "but this swirl was out in open water. That's why I feel this fish was 'unearned.' If it hadn't shown itself, I would have had an even more pathetic day," he concluded.

And then Charlie sent me a short note about his day yesterday in Albright's. "Caught mostly gar and grindle," he said. However, he also boated three bass--his best a 1-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment