Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Today Pretty Much Was a Repeat of Last Saturday

(Top row, l-r) 1 lb. 2 ozs., 1 lb. 13 ozs.
(Middle row, l-r) 1 lb. 4 ozs., 1 lb. 2 ozs.
(Bottom) 1 lb. 7 ozs.

With tomorrow being the 4th of July, I wanted to get my licks in before all the pleasure boaters and jet skiers hit the water. My creek of choice today was Albright's. I did so well there this past Saturday, I wanted to find out if I could duplicate my accomplishment then and boat another 9 lbs. of bass. It doesn't take long to figure out that the accompanying five fish--my best of the day--only total 6 lbs. 12 ozs.

The day in whole, however, yielded 12 bass and 2 bluegill. The same pattern that worked for me Saturday was still valid today. I fished the Baby Torpedo in a frog pattern from 6:30 to 10 this morning, which provided a lot of hard strikes but not so many fish. In most cases, I had only momentary hookups. The topwater bite seemed to die after that, so I picked up the firetiger Bandit Footloose I had used Saturday, and just like then, the catching picked up again. It still was on when I saw a streak of lightning and heard some thunder about 2:15 and decided the smart thing for me to do was to tie everything down and head for West Neck.

The water temp today was 88+ again. The level was lower than what we had Saturday, but it had turned and was coming in when I left today. Water clarity was better today, as evidenced by the lack of a discernible scum line on the boat as I started cleanup.

If you haven't already taken a look at the last blog post before this one, you might want to now. It summarizes the latest two citation bass that have come from West Neck Creek. The latest one was boated just yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment