Tuesday, July 3, 2012

2nd Citation Bass from West Neck Creek Since Spring 2011


Michael Bradberry holds his fish
while Dewey Mullins measures it.
Back on April 17, 2011, Michael Bradberry, a Naval Air Station Oceana firefighter, boated a citation bass from West Neck Creek. The fish measured 24 inches and weighed 8 lbs. 4 ozs., according to official records of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Anyone interested in seeing the original photo of his catch can check it out on Dewey's bulletin board in the store. If you can't find it, just ask him for a little help.

While I was talking to Dewey this afternoon, I learned that he weighed another citation bass just yesterday. This latest fish measured 22 1/4 inches and weighed 8 lbs. 8 ozs.

Dewey told me that three guys in a fish-and-ski boat brought the fish to him. When he had gotten all the necessary information to apply for a citation certificate, the anglers released the fish alive off the dock in front of the store. The one thing that had Dewey a bit puzzled was the fact the fish appeared to have just come off a spawning bed. The whole lower part of its tail was missing, and what was left of the tail was all bloody. It would seem to be a bit late for a bass to spawn, but given the weird weather this past winter and all, I suppose anything is possible.

It's not known what either fish was caught on, or exactly where in West Neck Creek they were taken. If I should come by this information at a later date, I'll update this blog post.

Epilog: I promised an update if I got anything new, and I was able to borrow this photo from Dewey long enough to scan it. Nothing new on the latest citation, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment