Thursday, July 12, 2012

They're Bitin'!!!

I'm hanging my shingle out tonight, 'cause come daybreak, I'll either be on the water or will be getting awfully close to being there. After getting two outstanding reports from fishin' buddies this evening, telling me about their trips today, I'm not about to sit home again tomorrow, waiting for Saturday's tourney to arrive. I gotta go see if I can cash in on the rewards of some cooler water. Both friends reported water in the 70s when they launched this morning and only in the low to mid 80s when they came off the water this afternoon.

My kayaker buddy, Charlie Bruggemann, reported catching about 20 bass in Godfrey's today but none over 2-3. The secret to his early-morning success (from 6 to 10 a.m.) was topwater baits--primarily a Zara Puppy and a popping bug. Then the wind came up, though, and he switched to Senkos and shallow crankbaits for the rest of the fish he caught.

Charlie said he talked to a couple other guys who indicated they had caught about 6 fish each today.

Jimmy's 3.6 today
My buddy, Jimmy Bauer, likewise had a great day in West Neck. He said he's pretty sure he boated close to 40 fish all day, including 10 bass, 17 nice crappie (plus a few small ones), 2 small stripers, 1 bowfin, and a few bream. He had 5 keeper bass that weighed in at 3.6, 2.0 and three at 1.0. All the bass, the bowfin, and 1 striper came on topwater stuff. Everything else came while using a flyrod at the bridge. He said the topwater bite basically lasted all day but slowed down a bit after 12 o'clock.

Jimmy's email reminded me of something that Dewey told me yesterday when I saw him. Jim Rose is out of rehab and back home after dealing with some health issues. He and his fishin' buddy, Bill Rhodes, were out today riding around a bit in their boat. That's indeed a welcome sight, and I sincerely hope we see a lot more of 'em in coming days.

Epilog: I talked to Jim today (7/13/2012) and learned that he and Bill weren't just riding around in their boat. They had been fishing and did rather well, too. They loaded an ice chest with crappie.

No comments:

Post a Comment