Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's All About Doing Things for the Right Reason

Chris Vitovich, founder and director
of the Steve Gambill Cancer Classic
Case in point: As his best friend and fellow outdoorsman, Steve Gambill, lay dying from cancer, Chris Vitovich vowed to hold a fishing tournament in his friend's honor--one designed to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Only a handful of folks showed up to fish that first Steve Gambill Cancer Classic out of West Landing Marina 11 years ago, but through their own wallets and donations, Chris collected $2,030.

There were just 10 sponsors for that inaugural event, compared to more than 100 who have contributed in some way each of the past few years. And, to date (through the June 10, 2012 tournament), the Cancer Classic has raised more than $100,000 for the American Cancer Society--a figure that Chris finds it hard to believe.

All the money that comes in from these tournaments goes to the Society. Participants are so eager to help that many even donate part, if not all, of their big-fish-pot winnings.

It was his friendship with Steve Gambill (left) that
prompted Chris Vitovich (right) to start the annual
Cancer Classic.
Through all the tourney-day bad weather, date changes, and a declining economy, people still show up to support the Steve Gambill Cancer Classic. Records show 100 anglers were on hand to participate this year--on a day that was blazing hot until the wind suddenly shifted in the afternoon. One year, it rained all day but cleared up just before the awards ceremony began.

The motivation to keep Chris doing this in his friend's memory never leaves his side. You see, Mrs. Gambill gave Chris some of her husband's ashes following his death. Chris subsequently scattered some of the ashes at the site where Steve caught his biggest bass. The rest, however, remain with Chris in his boat.

Another example of what can happen when people do things for the right reason involved one of my wife's former close friends. Shirley, too, was dying of cancer and one day asked my wife if she thought I would mind bringing her a mess of fish. She specifically asked for bass. I agreed, even though I had no idea how I was going to accomplish the task. Bass usually are the focus of my pursuits, but there are a lot of days when I find them pretty elusive. On the day I set out to make good on my promise, though, I'm convinced a much higher power than my usual sprinkling of good luck intervened, and I boated a 4-, 5- and 6-pounder. I also lost one at the boat that I feel certain would have eclipsed the 7-pound mark.

Pop, his dog, and his boat--an
inseparable trio.
Then, a few years ago, when my dad passed, I dedicated my whole fishing year to his memory. As I've already noted earlier in some of my blog posts, Pop always was a fishin' buddy to my younger brother and me. The success I enjoyed during that whole year of West Neck Marina-sponsored tourneys only can be described as "unbelievable." I won every tourney, including one in which a friend and fellow competitor tied me for total weight. We both agreed to let Dewey toss a coin, with my friend calling it, to decide the winner, and as it turned out, he called it wrong, giving me the win.

It was Albert Einstein who once said, "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Epilog:  Another example of what this story is all about can be found in the Pro Guide 2010 issue of Bassmaster magazine. If you have a copy of that magazine, read the article titled, "A 6 From Tony."

No comments:

Post a Comment