Tuesday, April 10, 2018

For Week Ending Sunday, April 15, 2018



Tuesday, April 10 (from Ron)...With the gauge at a paltry 1.3, I decided to try some trolling in Tecumseh The grass is starting to show up, so the trolling wasn't working very well. I did manage one fish with the new Booyah Prank, but it wasn't what I wanted: a nasty 3-lb. 13-oz. catfish. Struggled for a good 10 minutes to get him unhooked and realized that my rear hook was now down to two of three trebles. Maneuvered into a favorite creek in search of panfish but only found four small bass on the XTS. As the sun went below the tree line, and the temperature dropped to uncomfortable, I made a few casts that resulted in two 20-inch chain pickerel and then a decent 2-11 bass that seemed as though he just had had a serious dinner...with a bloated belly. Weather forecast is looking good. We shall see.

Wednesday, April 11 (from Ken)...Today was my only opportunity to get on the water before our tournament Saturday, and I didn't flinch. Because the water was low this morning, though, I opted to launch at Pungo Ferry, so I would be able to get the boat back on the trailer, even if the level dropped more during the day. With the low water, I decided to run back to West Neck. Wasn't exactly a stellar day, but I manged to find a few fish, including one white perch and three bass. The best bass of the day was a 2-5. Lost a couple more alongside the boat as I was getting ready to flip 'em into the boat; both of those fish would have gone somewhere between 1-8 and 2 lbs. Everything went for my shallow-diving crankbait. Couldn't even muster a smell on anything else. Water temp was showing 60 degrees when I came in this afternoon. My biggest problem of the day: I couldn't get away from all the "dirty birds." On three separate occasions, I had 'em leave their calling cards on my boat. I know I've said before, and I'll say again: "I love that new ramp at Pungo Ferry." With the low water, it was a bit difficult stepping off the boat onto the catwalk. Realized after the fact, I should have made my exit via the trailer tongue.

Wednesday, April 11 (from Ron)...With the gauge at 1.4, took my chances at Milldam. They were not hitting anything I threw at them, so I changed out my standard trolled beetlespin under a bobber with a small homemade feather jig head and trailer that a friend gave me a while back. Soon after, got a drag screamer 4-3 bowfin, and I was happy, but he twisted up in my net so bad that I had to cut my line and struggle to get him untangled. Did manage one dink on the XTS, but that was all. Hopefully, the south winds and warmer temps will bring an improved bite.

Sunday, April 15 (from Ron)...Fished the salt water this morning and finally caught some fish! After Friday's battle with the wind and a skunk, I wasn't feeling very confident. Managed two flounder in the keeper range and that just about made my day. Fished 0600 to 1230, and the wind never kicked up as predicted. Rain wasn't too bad with the warm temps.

No comments:

Post a Comment