Saturday, July 15, 2023

Only 3 Boats Showed, But We Still Fished


Reckon the fact we're in the "dog days" now is stronger motivation than a lot of fishermen and women's desire to spend a day on the water, competing against one another. At least that's my best guess as to why only five fishermen in three boats showed up at West Neck today for the scheduled open tournament. Competitors included Bob Clarkson fishing solo, the team of Andy Morath and Don Armstrong, and the team of Wayne Hayes and Ken Testorff. 

Given the small showing, coupled with the weather prediction for today, the tournament director decided to call the weigh-in for 1 p.m., vice 2 p.m., as originally advertised.

We ended the day with a combined total of 14 bass being brought to the scales. The combined weight was 20.52 pounds, which translates into an average weight per fish of 1.46 pounds.

Walking away with "all the marbles" today was Wayne (right) and Ken. Their total weight for a five-fish limit was 9.62 pounds. They also took the sidepot, as well as the big-fish money with a bass weighing 1.97 pounds. Bob finished in second place with five fish weighing 7.40 pounds (after a dead-fish penalty of 0.25 pounds) and a 1.96-pound big bass, and Andy and Don came in third with four fish weighing 3.50 pounds and no big bass.

The highlight of my day was watching the mastery of my partner, as well as perhaps a bit of luck, on two different occasions. I saw him break off on a fish this morning, then could only watch in disbelief as he scanned the vicinity until he found some of his line floating on the surface. He calmly grabbed hold of the line, started winding it around his hand, and ultimately landed the bass without a hitch. I also should point out that he performed the same demonstration just a few tournaments back while fishing with his other partner, Andy Morath.

Then, on what turned out to be his last cast of the day, I saw Wayne set the hook on what he first said was a fish, then clarified that he was just hung up. Moments later, he said, "No, I'm wrong...it's really a fish." While I was trying to decide whether to grab the net or snatch out what little hair I still have left on my head, he then asked me to come forward and take his rod so he could man the net. As I'm holding the rod, I can see the side of a fish flashing by in the water and can feel him pulling on the line.

Wayne explains the fish appears to be wrapped up in something and starts running the net toward where he believes the fish is located. Multiple times he draws the net back without his fish in it. Then I hear him say he just ran the net into the fish. He next handed me the net, took his rod again, and started his usual method of getting a hung hook free. At this point, I'm thinking the fish has escaped. I quickly learn, though, that's not true, 'cause Wayne says, "I really do still have the fish." Almost immediately, I see the fish come to the surface, stick the net under it, and give Wayne his well-deserved prize.

As it turned out, the fish was hooked deep, or Wayne otherwise might have dislodged the bass when he bumped it with the net. In any event, that fish culled a smaller one, and we headed to the marina for weigh-in.

The "dog days" continue to be lean days for catching fish. Wayne was spot on with something he said to me as we were motoring toward the dock this afternoon: "You just have to remain patient." I think the vast majority of us can second that statement without any hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment