Monday, July 24, 2023

After-Tournament Report

As usual, I've had discussions with various anglers who fished last Saturday's Dewey's tournament at West Neck Marina, and from those discussions have come a couple or so things I thought I would share in this venue.

The first thing on the laundry list is a reminder that some but perhaps not all of us were privy to last Saturday as we made our way to the tournament site. Skip was kind enough to suggest that I post some notices about the fact that West Neck Road is going to be closed to traffic from July 30th to Aug. 7th for road work. We've all likely seen the work that has been in progress out there in the vicinity of the new housing area and had to have known this ultimately would result in one or more road closures before all was said and done. Be advised that I will be happy to pass along any/all changes to the targeted dates if they arise.

The next item on my list relates to a discussion I had with Skip and Dave following Saturday's weigh-in. It seems that, at some point during the tournament day, Dave had incurred a hang-up with one of his lures. As usual, he got on the trolling motor and headed in the direction of the problem. Before he could reach the hang-up, however, he and Skip witnessed a bit of a surprise. A bass suddenly came out of nowhere and snatched the lure off the stick-up.

I have seen a few similar experiences over the years. The first one that comes to mind was a morning, while fishing a super-shallow area, when I saw a wake heading for a lone stick-up in the middle of the water where a bird just had perched itself. As the wake neared the scene, a hefty bass leaped out of the water, snatched the bird in mid-air, and was gone in the blink of an eye.

On a different occasion, I once watched a bass chase a snake clear up onto the bank. The bass even had to do a couple of flips just to get back into the water...without his prize, I must add.

Item No. 3 on my list came on my last cast of the day Saturday. I just had had a colossal backlash and was busy trying to find the end of my problem. When at last successful, I began taking up all the slack line, only to feel weight as soon as I had wound up everything that had been laying at my feet. Realizing the pressure had to be a fish, I set the hook on what turned out to be my only but our fifth keeper of the day.

The final item on my list was brought to my attention earlier today when Wayne called me. Said he just had covered the boat when he arrived home Saturday from the tournament. And when he went out the next morning to uncover it all and clean things up, there was an unexpected stench surrounding him that he couldn't identify. It didn't take long, though, to trace the odor to one of the livewells, where it seems that one of the fish caught Saturday had left a calling card. Wayne still isn't sure if the remains were that of a small snake or an eel, but regardless, it was odiferous, to say the least.

Tight Lines! to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment