Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Maybe I Was Premature To Give Up on Crankbaits


Ran into my friend "Doc" (right) yesterday morning when I arrived at West Neck for another "hot" (as in temperature only) day of fishing. Seems we both had the same plan...but for the fact my friend made a better choice of baits.

It wasn't until I had gotten home, however, that I saw a report of how "Doc" had done yesterday. As he explained, he started his pursuit in the south end of West Neck Creek, but things didn't exactly get off on the right foot. After finally managing to get hooked up with a fish...a nice 3- or 3-and-a-half pounder...he ended up losing it right at the boat. There was a valuable lesson in that turn of events.

"Always change the hooks on your crankbaits," said "Doc."

With the passage of this moment of disappointment, "Doc" went back to fishing, only to miss some more fish. Just before calling it quits, though, he caught four small bass and a couple of white perch...all with the same shallow-diving crankbait he had lost the other fish on.

"I'm hoping I'll be able to put a big one in the boat the next time," noted "Doc."

As it turned out, his day on the water, despite its setbacks, was better than the one I had. Spent better than two hours in Albright's without a single hit on either of the two worm rods I had rigged up. Decided to run back to West Neck, where I spent another hapless hour before moving to an area that usually produces something. In the remaining hour and a half of my day there, I boated one 12-inch bass and missed a couple other strikes...on the same two worms with which I had started the day.

I would be remiss in this report if I didn't include the fact that my friend, "Doc," is one swell guy. Yesterday morning, as we each were prepping our boats for launch, he looked up and saw that I was backing up toward my boat to get hooked up. "Doc" subsequently dropped what he was doing to come and guide me into position. "Thanks, my friend, for keeping my faith in mankind alive. There still are some good people around, and you're definitely one of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment