Saturday, May 27, 2023

This Guy Digs Low-Water/No-Water Days in a Big Way


Who can blame him, either, when you consider he caught a mixed bag of 41 fish in Back Bay this past Friday from 3 to 7 p.m. That total broke his old record of 32 fish that he caught during a nor'easter this last fall.

As Ryan Land explained, "When the 250-hp boats are unable to launch, those are the days I get my absurd kayak numbers."

The third fish (right) he landed Friday was, in his words, "an absolute mega bass and may have been my personal best to date, but with no scale, I am not sure. Measuring 24 inches long, she also was thick and heavy. I know for certain that fish was well past 6 pounds, and I am betting it was an 8-pound-class bass. Whether it broke my 8.25 record I never will know, but I do know it certainly was the biggest bass I have landed in Back Bay."

From there, Ryan went on to catch three yellow perch, three pickerel (two of which measured 20 inches), and one crappie, all of which were mixed in between what seemed like endless bass.

"Of course, at least 20 of those bass were 8-to-12-inch dinks," he said, "but it still was an absolute blast...and the kind of day I long for. A few other notable bass included a nice one over 3 pounds, as well as at least three more in the 2-pound class."


Ryan estimated his keeper bag would have weighed about 18 pounds. The feeding frenzy was going after every bait he had tied on, but the majority were hitting topwater. He ended up losing his favorite topwater bait to a solid fish...perhaps a pickerel...that broke him off. He also had a leader knot fail on his magic one-eyed striped rattletrap and lost several nice fish on a wacky-worm rig that had an undersized hook. He further had a 4-pound-or-so bass jump and throw a weightless Texas-rigged worm right next to his kayak.

In summing up his experience Friday, Ryan described it as "near-total chaos, between losing favorite lures, untangling rods, dunking reels in the bay, and getting multiple hits on single retrieves. I even watched a bass swoop in and try to take my lure from the mouth of a bass I was already hooked up with and fighting. It simply was beautiful," he concluded.

We've likely all heard the phrase: "It's like shooting fish in a barrel." Reckon now, after reading about Ryan's blowout day, we all have very few, if any, lingering questions about what exactly is meant by that phrase. The only question still lingering in my mind is this: "What's the fishing going to be like once this long period of low water finally passes?" Got a hunch I may not like the answer when it's revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment