Monday, May 8, 2023

As D. Mac Sees the Fishin' Scene...


My friend and blog contributor D. Mac likes to fish. He also follows fishing events on the local and national scenes, as evident in his latest report, which was in my email inbox this morning.

He started by taking note of a two-day event this past weekend on the Pasquotank, involving the Jon Boat Elite Trail. What really grabbed his attention was the fact that the fella who finished the competition in first place had 46 pounds of fish. On Day 2 alone, he weighed more than 30 pounds. "WOW!" is how he registered his feelings.

D. Mac then let me know he went fishing this past Saturday morning, which he described as "probably the nicest weather day for me this year...not the best bass-catchin' day, though." He went on to note that he boated only five fish "after a really tough bite where I was. They didn't seem all that hongree after a really big full moon Friday night.

"Then there was that $&^% cliche about 'winds east fishing is the least' factor. However, the red gods blessed my frog with a 6.4 pounder," he continued. "Hooked another nice one 'bout 2 o'clock but lost it after a textbook-classic tail-walk that threw my frog and peeeed in my Cheerios. My buddy of 50 years with me said, 'That was 5 pounds plus.'

"Any way ya slice it, nice to get out. I didn't fish Sunday. Instead, I went to Bass Pro to look at boats and buy more frogs, baits and hooks."

Oh, and don't let me forget to pass along this recommended-reading link from D. Mac: https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/world-record-largemouth-line-class-bass-texas/?utm_term=FAS%20Strike%20Zone%20-%20050723&utm_campaign=Field%20%26%20Stream_The%20Strike%20Zone&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email. According to him, this Field and Stream article definitely rates as a "what the heck" for their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment