Friday, December 23, 2022

Frozen Rod Guides: A Bane of Wintertime Anglers

Was outdoors a bit earlier, making my last pickup today of sticks and branches scattered throughout the yard and checking one final time on the protective barrier I rigged up a couple days ago for some of my wife's plants.

While I was out there in all that cold air, a shudder went up my spine as I thought about what it would feel like to be out on the water in these conditions. About the same time, an idea came to me for a blog post about iced-up fishing guides.

Once I was back indoors, I jumped online and soon found the advice of a fishing guide who spends many days each year taking parties out in freezing-cold rivers that run into the Great Lakes.

According to him, there are two best ways to keep fishing-rod guides from freezing. One is to use Loon's Stanley's Ice Off Paste, which Bass Pro Shops currently advertises for $7.99 per can. The other way is to use the water you're fishing in. Both methods have proven to work when done right.

Stanley's Ice Off Paste purportedly is the only product designed to keep fishing-rod guides from freezing. For best results, this sticky, waxy paste should be applied to each rod guide at home before you go fishing and left to dry. You can put a small amount onto a thin rag or use your finger to apply a thin layer to all the rod guides.

Unfortunately, like all the remedies to keep fishing rod guides from freezing, Stanley's Ice Off Paste doesn't last all day. You may need to reapply it while on the water.

As explained by the fishing guide, "I like it because it often will get me through the coldest part of the morning until the sun comes out and starts to warm up the rod and the air. When I need to reapply, I always try to do it whenever I'm taking a break...to stop and eat or to move to another spot. I always first dry off each rod guide with a dry cloth or paper towel, then reapply a thin layer and let it dry for 5 or more minutes. Putting the paste onto wet guides doesn't seem to work very well."

The guide went on to say that Stanley's Ice Off Paste works well with mono, fluorocarbon and fly lines.

When using water to keep fishing-rod guides from freezing, you simply dip the rod under the water you're fishing while reeling line back in. As you lift the rod out of the water, tap the bottom of the rod blank two or three times, then tap between the handle and first rod guide three or four times to shake off the excess water. 

Said the guide, "Because rivers are flowing water, the ice will come off faster than in a lake, where the water isn't moving. In the lake, I will move my rod slowly from side to side to remove the ice faster.

"I only dip my rod in the water as deep as I need to clear all the rod guides that I start seeing ice on. That often means only the top three or four guides will get dipped regularly, because these are the guides that are the biggest issue. The lower rod guides closer to the handle might only need to be dipped once every five minutes, or as soon as I see a small amount of ice. In colder water, it's best to dip your rod every one to three casts. When the water's the coldest...in mid-January and February...I recommend dipping the rod tip in the water each time you reel in."

The guide acknowledged that there are several other methods to keep ice off the rod guides, but he also noted that many of these oil-based products may cause problems with the rod and/or the line. Some of these products also may gum up the guides and become sticky, preventing the line from flowing freely through the rod guides.

Among these other products are: Chapstick and lip balm, Pam cooking spray, olive oil, vaseline, and Rain X.

All of these methods can work to some degree in keeping rod guides from freezing. The key is to always apply whatever solution it is that you want to try only to dry rod guides. The fishing guide suggested trying a couple of these remedies to see what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment