Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Winter Fishing Isn't for Everyone

Michigan native Kevin VanDam, however, has no complaints about it. In his words, "There indeed are some days when winter fishing is terribly slow and conditions are tough, but bass also can get more active during the winter months than most people realize."

As VanDam noted, "There's a big difference between a 36-degree day with drizzle and one when it drops to 28 degrees and snows. The bass don't care if it's snowing, but it's that low-pressure system that accompanies the snowstorm that triggers a feed.

"The general thinking of most anglers is that fishing would be a lot better during the winter if you always had a warm, sunny day," he continued. "However, I've found the opposite to be true. Warmer days make the angler feel better about fishing, but the bass get more active on the nastier days."

VanDam cited the 2010 Bassmaster Classic at Lay Lake as an example of the point he was trying to make.

"During one of the official practice days, the weather got brutal. The water temperature was in the upper 30s, the temperature dropped, and the rain turned to snow. It was late in the practice day, and a lot of guys already had gone in. It was very cold and uncomfortable, which made it difficult to be out there, but I knew I had to find a good school of fish. About the time the temperature dropped and the sleet turned to snow, the fish started biting really good.

"While I'm used to fishing in cold weather, I was pretty surprised the fish were so active. In fact, when I went out that morning, I wasn't even sure I could get a bite. When the front moved in, though, a bass literally choked my Red Eye Shad, and I knew I was onto something. I caught 12 to 15 that afternoon, including two 7-pounders.

"The fish were shallow and crushing my Red Eye Shad. I even caught some in 2 feet of water during that snowstorm.

"Once the tournament started, I ended up catching them in the same areas with the same kind of techniques. It was cold--like in the 20s--when the event started, and it warmed up gradually as the week progressed.

"My point in all of this," said VanDam, "is that don't assume bad weather drives bass deep, or that you always have to fish slow and methodical.

"And, further, because our cold-weather clothing is so good these days, anglers can endure a lot of bad weather if they just give it a chance.

"So the next time you see a low-pressure system moving into your area this winter, go fishing, and don't be afraid to check out shallow-water patterns. Remember, it's all about attitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment