Tuesday, May 17, 2022

This Fishin' Report Comes on a Day I'd Just as Soon Forget...

And I d**n sure hope there's not another one like it anytime soon. If I hadn't watched the chain of events unfold before my eyes, I never would have believed so many negative things could happen in the course of any given single day. Last time I checked, fishing days were supposed to be fun, but this one was anything but that...without a doubt.

It was about 7:30 this morning, as I started down the road from my storage shed to the boat ramp to launch my Skeeter. As it worked out, there was an older dude just turning into the parking lot as I reached the gate, and when he saw me, he sped up, blew right past the store (where he was supposed to drop his launch fee), and hustled down to get lined up with the ramp. I didn't think a lot about it at first. Instead of getting my BP up, I just sat back and watched this dude drop his 10- or 12-foot fishin' boat in the water and proceed to have some problem with the tie-off rope because he was in such a hurry.

"Serves him right," I thought to myself, but I still was calm. If I had known what was to ensue, however, I reckon some steam might have already been escaping from my ears.

After getting his tie-off-rope problem under control, this dude parked his pickup, opened the tailgate, and removed one fishing rod and one medium Plano box, then carried them to his boat. After setting them down, he again walked back to his pickup, picked up two medium Plano boxes this time, and made another trip to the ramp with them. He sat those down, then made a third trip back to his pickup, where upon he picked up three medium Plano boxes this time, along with his lifevest, finally closed his tailgate, and nochalantly ambled back down to the ramp, putting these final items down, taking his seat on board, and then launching into a bunch of adjustments to his sole electronics on the front and other stuff in the boat. Finally, he started his little outboard and began trying to maneuver away from the catwalk. You would have thought he had a 21-foot bass boat, given the number of times he banged into the catwalk, trying to get away from it.

And in case you haven't already guessed it, you could rightfully say that I had one of the worst cases of "red a**" ever at this point. I was really struggling with an urge to get out of my van and unload on this guy in the worst kind of way. However, I managed to stay seated in my van...and just let some of the built-up steam in my ears escape from the now rolled-down windows. What I really wanted to do was try and sink his boat right there at the dock...with him in it.

At long last, the nincompoop (and I'm really being kind here) got his piece of crap away from the dock and headed down the channel toward the main creek. Meanwhile, I'm salivating over thoughts of trying to send some big rollers at this guy...just to send him a "gentle" message. However, I thought better of that, too. Ultimately, I motored by him slowly, with only a sneer on my face.

If this event had been the only thing I had had to contend with today, I likely would not have been so totally frustrated when I arrived home this evening. This, though, was just the opening salvo for a whole array of problems. For openers, my aim this morning sucked. Every second or third cast with my topwater, I was hung in a tree, a bush, or you-name-it. Let me add, here, too, that I already had seen one of those creatures that slither along on top of the water and couldn't get that image out of my mind as I started reaching into things to retrieve my lure. Did I say that I never like surprises? Fortunately, I didn't find any, either.

About 11:15, I had let the boat drift against a clump of grass on a point, so that I could retie from one of those hangups. Once I was done retying, I bumped the trolling motor to move away, and while the trolling motor initially responded, it then decided to add to my heartburn. The prop only would barely turn, even on high, and it was making a strange sound. I didn't wait long to call my newly retired buddy, Wayne, and ask WTFO he thought might be wrong. He suggested a few things but added that he thought I should put the boat on the trailer and bring it by his house so he could have a look-see.

Only moments after my arrival, he already had verified I had the proper voltage along all the points, but then started removing the prop. Problems getting it off caused him to note he was sure he would find something here. Immediately after removal, he identified a broken shearpin. He also found a seal problem, which he took care of, along with the installation of a new shearpin. And by 1:30, I was back on the water, trying to pickup where I had left off earlier and add to the two decent keeper bass (all about the size of this first fish of the day) I had just boated before the trolling motor had gone belly up.

The fish, however, were no longer in a cooperative mood, and I spent considerably more time before I stumbled across a log washed up against the shoreline, which yielded another keeper bass and a nice crappie. That, however, was the extent of my action after returning to the water this afternoon. Had thought I might stay until more toward sundown, but given the fact I only can stand a certain amount of humility, decided I would cut things off about 4:30...as it worked out, only minutes ahead of the jackleg that had spun me up this morning at the ramp.

Managed to get my boat put away without any problems and was trying to unwind on the road home, when what should I find as I turned onto Salem Road but a couple of cops stopping traffic. As I learned, a truck had gone into the ditch alongside the road, and cars couldn't pass. I simply turned around and embarked on a different route home, arriving here without further incident.

It wasn't until I got inside the house that weird crap started happening all over again. While Wayne and I were trying to have a conversation on our cellphones (he from his garage, and me from my bedroom), we lost signals three times. We finally just gave up and ended our discussion.

I then headed for the shower and got ready for dinner. Since that time, everything has been cool, and I truly hope it stays that way for the rest of this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment