Thursday, May 5, 2022

Shallow...Shallower...Shallowest...Need I Say More?

That was the tale of my fishing today. With the heavy overcast skies that marked the beginning of the day, I made a conscious decision to stay put in West Neck, just in case I should end up having to make a run for cover. Had my rainsuit in the boat, but as I've come to learn over the years, when it rains hard, those light-material rainsuits usually don't hold up very well. More times than not, you end up with the rain finding an opening at your neck, and then it has a nasty habit of running all the way down to your behind.

With the iffy-looking weather, I was perfectly content staying put in West Neck Creek and checking out some areas where I usually find fish this time of year. Worked out that I found some fish today, too, but the biggest one I managed to get into the boat only tipped the scales at 1-9. The other four I boated all came in somewhere between 10 and 12 inches.

Ended up with only one of my chosen five baits producing all but one of the fish (the outlier was a small white perch that hit a 3/8-oz. spinnerbait). The same bait that put those five fish in the boat also accounted for temporary hookups with three larger fish that were able to come unbuttoned before I could get them in the boat. Accordingly plan to start Saturday's tournament with some new hooks.

As I've already shared with my regular tournament partner, I have a suggestion for Saturday's event...one that I hope will help us put the rain forecasters are predicting for that day in the rearview mirror. A boatload of fish would cure a whole bunch of ills.

Only saw one other bass boat on the water today, and that was Rob Pepper's Ranger. He already had gone out when I arrived at West Neck this morning and had departed by the time I returned to the ramp this afternoon. There also was a smattering of bank fishermen and kayakers out when I came in this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment